Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

the amp! she is DEAD :'(

WAAAAAHHHHH!!!

nooo, my amp died! the sansui AU4900 will no longer power up, it suddenly stopped working a week ago while my dad was using it!

oh well, but now what am i to do! my dad is getting might be getting me a receiver this christmas...

sometimes these things happen... anyone got an old amp they want to get rid of?

what, not even a single sympathetic soul?!?

wow, we really are elitist jerks... lmao

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Bummer, audio_dude. You should get the Sansui fixed, it's a good amp. It might be as simple as just replacing a fuse.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

I'm sorry to hear that dude.

I understand that you've been having some troubles with it for awhile.
    You've been eyeing on a 2ch Denon receiver, right?
    Do you think XMas can arrive early this year? Try looking sad in front of your dad. Give him some guilt-trips but be sure to love him. Not too much doe....

Fuse may do the trick will that Red Headed Hippy suggested. Be sure to use the right one. I used the wrong fuse and it ended up costing me almost 200 bucks for repair.
    I think it takes a slow burning fuse. Not sure though

Fcuk it Dude, lets go Bowling.

-JRa

Yeah, it certainly could be the fuse...so don't count it out just yet. Also, you might want to blame it on your dad and have him buy you a new one...lol.

Suspended
    My sympathies. If it doesn't power up, it very well could be a fuse. If an output had blown you could still have one channel or hear still hear a little sound. It could also be a power supply failure, since fuses usually blow for a reason. Hopefully high current for a short duration cause the fuse to do its job and open before any damage was done. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    WAAAAAHHHHH!!!

nooo, my amp died! the sansui AU4900 will no longer power up, it suddenly stopped working a week ago while my dad was using it!

oh well, but now what am i to do! my dad is getting might be getting me a receiver this christmas...

sometimes these things happen... anyone got an old amp they want to get rid of?

sorry, i feel bad for you.

it's hard when something stops working suddenly, i had it with my yammie too (that wasn't too bad actually, it was crap anyways (stupid surround receivers)), what i did find annoying was that our cd player broke when i was using it, because now i need to use the cd station in my pc, so i need a new cd player, (the list is getting long, too long for my budget, (a new tt, a new cd player, a power amp, new speakers)
    anyways, try finding out what it is, maybe it's something real simple like a fuse or a cable that came loose. Otherwise, try begging to your dad, after all, he broke it (you can say)

btw, i do have an old amp, but since you live in canada, and i live in belgium, it's kinda hard to get it there.

peace,
    Basite.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Linear Guy

sorry, young man

Give it a good Christian burial and convince the old man in his moment of grief to buy you this:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

Quote Originally Posted by daviethek
    Give it a good Christian burial and convince the old man in his moment of grief to buy you this:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

personally, i wouln't bury it, i would add it to my collection of broken and unused electronical things (which seems to expand quite fast lately) and try to repair it so i can use it occasionally, if we'd all bury our used things, earth would be too small
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

lol, thanks guys,

davethek, that thing's like $600 bucks! lol, my dads budget is probably $300. no higher, and that pretty much rules out a nice integrated, since i love my radio, and i still don't even have a cood CDP yet!!

oh well, for now i'm minus a stereo, i'll live off my dads stereo for now, its mucho better anyways, lol...

ya, i don't think its a loose cable or something, i think its the power supply and this amp's had it, its old, been giving me problems for a while, and now i think its time to let it rest in peace, unless i can find some sansui enthusiast willing to give me a few bucks and pay for shipping...
    Last edited by audio_dude; 10-12-2006 at 03:19 PM.

I'm looking for a reason to components...
    wanta buy my denon 2805
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

sorry rock, thats a 7.1 home theatre receiver, i'm going straight stereo... i kno they're going the way of the Dodo, but i just can't stand all the home theatre crap on a cheap 5.1 receiver, and they sound like crap to boot!...

damn dude, sounds like you are taking this tragedy really well.
    You said you are pretty sure your power supply is shot.
    Does you fuse still have a thin copper wire in one piece? If so then ya, give it to someone in AKarma. You should at least be able to pocket $20. Sansui was great, but you will be happy wita new integrated.

But in a mean time, go to a thrift store and pickup an old receiver. I picked up a Sherwood 7100 25w/ch while back for $5 and enjoyed the dodo out of it. FM/AM tuner on that thing are INCREDIBLE. Phono stage was good and 25watts was almost powerful enough for me to blast music. I should've kept it but ended up selling it on Agon for $75.

I'll be drink a glass of WhiteRussian in the memory of your Sansui tonight.

-JRA

relay?

Does it light up at all? Or does it light up but not play.

I had a Sansui 881 rcvr with the latter problem many years ago. First thing to go out was the 'soft-start' relay - whatever it's called. I think the windings in it burned up maybe so that it would never close.

I ended up drilling a hole in the relay's acrylic cover, then jammed a sliver of wood in as a wedge to hold the contacts closed.

'Course, I don't recommend that, but it worked for me, as a get-by. In fact, I don't recommend mucking around inside at all -- electrocution hazard. Might have someone look into that, though.

-Jon

nope, not a sound, sight or anything to say that this thing is working, ya, i'll see if i can find a ultra cheap receiver at a garage sale or thrift shop...

hmm, audiokarma it is then!

But you see, the zero zilch zip nada thing really makes me think it's just the fuse. When the power supply goes, it does a lot of flickering and stuff before it dies.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

That being the case, I completely agree. I fixed a tv here a while back that one morning was just dead for no reason. Looked around in there near the power supply and found a fuse, which I replaced. While I was in there, I cleaned everything with canned air, in case heat buildup caused the fuse to blow in the first place.

-Jon

Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    ya, i don't think its a loose cable or something, i think its the power supply and this amp's had it, its old, been giving me problems for a while, and now i think its time to let it rest in peace, unless i can find some sansui enthusiast willing to give me a few bucks and pay for shipping...

old things don't necesserilly have to mean that they break someday, my good 'ol kenwood kr-730 from 1978 served me on my normal duty (read: heavy duty usage) for quite a long time, (since the yammie broke (again)) and it still sings, and it never had any problem whatsoever, it didn't overheat, no faults, powered the Advents without clipping...

there is a good chance that it is a fuse or a cable. only cheap new things tend to break right after the warranty is over.

after that said, really, you should try to find the problem, or ask your dad, otherwise, well yeah, a cheap receiver from a garage sale or waiting till you have your new receiver
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

hmm, i might crack 'er open and take a look, any advice on how not to get electrocuted?

#1 - Make sure it's unplugged when you're opening it and working on it.
    #2 - Only plug it back in to test it, immediately unplug it afterwards.
    #3 - With a large wattage resister, touch the two ends of any large capacitors to discharge their load. I don't know what the resistance should be, but perhaps someone else can help with that. You don't want it too large, because then it'll take too long to dissipate; you don't want it to small, otherwise large capacitors can still give it more than it can handle. I think my friend uses a 1Kohm resistor.

But really -- the fuse is probably by the electrical recepticle. Take that out first and look at it to see if it's "blown".
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

ok, thank dusty, will do!

i'll try to take some pics if i can!

earlier I recommended you to use slow burn fuse. I meant slow blo.
    Hey dude, you havent really told us what your fuse looks like yet. But since you will post pictures, we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    #1 -
    #3 - With a large wattage resister, touch the two ends of any large capacitors to discharge their load. I don't know what the resistance should be, but perhaps someone else can help with that. You don't want it too large, because then it'll take too long to dissipate; you don't want it to small, otherwise large capacitors can still give it more than it can handle. I think my friend uses a 1Kohm resistor.
    Just don't touch any capacitors; they can hold a charge long after the power has been unplugged. If you don't know what caps look like (and you probably do, but I'm just being cautious here), don't touch anything inside. Just look.

If there is not a fuse recepticle you can access without opening the cabinet, then there should be a fuse holder near the big transformer. This is the power supply stage, and is where the aforementioned big nasty capacitors are.

Be extremely careful; don't touch anything other than the fuse, and then pull it & replace it with insulated needle-nose pliers or whatever, but use insulated ones. Just to be safe. Also, don't touch anything in there with both hands -- keep one hand behind your back at all times so a current doesn't pass through your heart.

Have I impressed upon you that you should only let someone who knows what they're doing go inside the cabinet? Hope so. Don't get electrocuted.

Be safe.

-Jon

a 12v dc light bulb will work great for discharging (or charging) caps...

fyi, using a screwdriver to discharge a large cap, or a capacitor bank may cause welding, damage to the caps, or even death!

One less day between you, and DEATH!
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

hehe, thanks for the concern guys, i think there a little fuse holder on the back, i'll check that first...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information