Forum Regular

Amp Recommendation

Just purchased a Infinity Beta Series system at a great deal.
    Beta 50 fronts
    Beta 360 center
    Beta 20 rears
    Beta SW-12 sub

I have a Sony STR-DE945 rated at 110W per channel at 8 ohms 5.1 and stereo. Now I know that this receiver will run the speakers but do you think it is a waste to buy this speaker system and not upgrade the receiver/amp?

I do pretty much even amounts of TV, music and HT but I love great sound. I purchased the speakers over Vanns.com in Cherry for $1500 bucks which I think is a great deal.

Please give me some recomendations if you think I should upgrade. I would spend up to $1000 for a new amp and/or receiver. Thanks!!

Suspended
    I don't know if it would be a waste not to but you would definitely improve the performance of your system.

Based on what you set your budget at and what features you need take a look at receivers from NAD or Rotel. Outlaw makes a HT receiver and actually have some separates for under $1k. I personally have not heard Outlaw but those who have seem to like them. If the latest HT features are important you can still improve your situation by going to Onkyo, Marantz or Denon.

Forum Regular
    Do you have any specific models to take a look at? How about the Onkyo TSX805?
    Last edited by batman220; 01-10-2008 at 07:07 AM.

Onkyo 805, Denon 3808, NAD775 would all be good choices. I prefer NAD and Denon 3000 series which can be found for around $1000.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Without knowing your needs and what sources it would be difficult to recommend a specific model. Outlaw doesn't have a large selection, that's easy enough. Rotel and NAD would give you a more refined sound than what I call "mass merchant" brands, in that category as suggested the Onkyo 805, 705 or 605 depending on needs, the Denon 2308 is the current model that would begin being comparable the Onkyo.

Look at the Denon 3808, its a much better amp then the 2000 series amps. It uses a torroidal power supply and it is in a different class than the others mentioned except for Rotel and NAD. I've seen it on sale for just under $1,000. However the Onkyo's are nice receivers and cheaper.
    If your more into 2ch music as opposed to HT then go with the Rotels, NAD and Denon 3808. I think you will get better 2ch sound.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Look at the Denon 3808, its a much better amp then the 2000 series amps. It uses a torroidal power supply and it is in a different class than the others mentioned except for Rotel and NAD. I've seen it on sale for just under $1,000. However the Onkyo's are nice receivers and cheaper.
    If your more into 2ch music as opposed to HT then go with the Rotels, NAD and Denon 3808. I think you will get better 2ch sound.
    Okay, looked at the Denon 3808 ($1100online), Yamaha RXV3800 ($1100online), Rotel RX1057 ($1100 demo sale) and 1067 ($2200new).

I also looked at the Rotel RSP1068 w/ a RMB1075 amplifier: $2400.

Both the Denon and Yamaha I can get online for a good price new where the Rotel I would most likely have to buy at MSRP. There is a deal for a NAD T163 and T973 for $1850 as a combo deal. When working with one of the local dealers of NAD they did not think this was a good idea because the 163 does not have HDMI input/output.

Frankly other than just comparing price and features such as HDMI inputs I can't tell the difference between these. Listening to them in different rooms with different speakers and sound tracks makes it very difficult for me to compare them.

Can anyone provide some commentary on these options? I listen to music and movies through a Samsung DVD player connected via optical cable, cable box connected via optical cable, and will connect my iPod but I don't feel the sound quality is there with the iPod. It would be nice to have HDMI capability but from what I see since I don't have a lot of components that I can use HDMI with it may not be a needed feature (it would be nice to have a on screen GUI for the receiver though).

Thanks again for your help.

My personal preference is the denon if your wanting to stay in your $1000 range. I like the rotel but its only 75wpc, not that it could not do the job. But if you ever upgrade to more demanding speakers you may want the 130wpc of the denon. All the others mentioned would do a great job as well. If you wanted to save a little money , consider the Onkyo 705.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

You should also look at outlawaudio.com they are running a special on their 970 preamp and 7125 amp for $1,298. I would go this route if you cna afford it.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    For sound quality my choice would be one of your Rotel options. If you want all the latest features then the 3808. Can't comment on Outlaw, no experience there. The Rotel 75 wpc is pretty conservative.

Forum Regular
    Okay I got the Rotels. I went with the RSP-1068 as an open box buy for $999 and the RMB-1075 for $999 new. They sound amazing and I am happy with the purchase. I have been trying to justify taking the 1068 back to get the 1069 but I just can't get myself there. I would get HDMI upconversion, etc. but I don't see much more different than that and it will be another $1000.

I really like the NAD T-175 and 773 combo which provides 7 channels on the amp and iPod integration via a dock with HDMI inputs but that combo would have cost another $1200 more than what I got. I had to run a separate s-video cable to my tv and then switch the tv input so I can make changes via the on screen menu.

Suspended
    Congrads. I know it's fun to get new gear.

Did you listen to the NAD? I was wondering if the T175 sounded any better than the Rotel.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Congrads. I know it's fun to get new gear.

Did you listen to the NAD? I was wondering if the T175 sounded any better than the Rotel.
    I didn't have the chance. The NAD dealer just moved and was still setting stuff up. They actually didn't have a T175 in stock anyway. I was a little annoyed when they told me they don't stock any NAD products and it is all ordered when purchased. Seems to me they would stock a few of the products they carried.

Forum Regular
    My concern with the NAD combo is that there would seem to be some issues with build quality. I browse these forums, and the ones on Audio Asylum, Audiogon, etc., with some regularity, and the one brand that keeps popping up with frustrating mechanical issues is NAD. That's a deal-breaker for yours truly -- I'd almost sacrifice sound to know that the gear wasn't going to embarrass me in front of my house guests. I know the deal is done, but I'm saying that I think you made the right choice.

Suspended
    That's not any way to represent a line. I wondered about NAD's quality control because I see a lot of it listed as "refurbished".

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by batman220
    Okay I got the Rotels.
    Congratulations on the Rotel! I think you made an excellent choice.... having owned both NAD and then Rotel Gear in the last 3 years, I can say that even though both brands make great sounding products... I generally give the edge to Rotel for 2 reasons 1) NAD has had (based on my own experiences, not to mention the numerous consumer reviewers) too many electrical problems... 2) NAD (entry level, not Masters Series) really are plain looking at best and hideous at worst.... While Rotel produces some really swanky looking gear (apart from the funny gull wings on the faceplate)...

In terms of sound.... it really just depends on what speakers you are using.... If I was to buy speakers by Revel/Infinity I'd go for Rotel.... but for B&W/Monitor Audio I'd possibly choose NAD....

So enjoy your new purchase and when you have time feel free to write a review....

Thread Information