Thread: Amp ratings

Amp ratings

Was wondering how you guys rated amps mainly 5.1 channel amps? Been looking at alot of amps, names like Rotel,Anthem,B&K,Krell,NAD and some others i cant think of. Also what should i look for in the specs on each so i can compare for myself?? Only on a $2500 budget, but relly wanna see how you guys rate all these amps and why? Thanks guys!!!!

Suspended
    Krell is definitely in a league above the rest you mentioned. You can't really go by specs. You have to do some listening, and sort of get a feel for a companies rep for building amps. For example, a receiver may say 100 or 150 watts into 8 ohms and may even have lower distortion rating than a Krell, however, there's no receiver on the planet that will sound as strong and have the drive of Krell's 100 watts. It's difficult to buy used with limited knowledge of the products. You may be better off buying new from a retailer who will allow 30 days to return if not happy. There are quite a few online. Below are a couple Krell postings in your range. I don't know if you want to go from receiver straight to the top but why not, they are in your budget and the amp would make a great cornerstone.

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/cls.pl?ampsmult&1201480147

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/cls.pl?ampsmult&1201185829

The other brands will be even cheaper and they may not perform like Krell but still offer a reasonable upgrade from where you are at. In the rest none stand out above the other for me. I've heard good things about the Rotel digital multi-channel amp, as well the NAD Master series.

This may not be what you wanted but any one who knows what they are talking about will tell you specs tell you little to nothing as to how an amp will sound or perform.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    I've got to agree with Mr. Peabody. There are owner reviews here at AR of all the brands you mentioned. You can take a look at those reviews only to get general information on those brands. Visit dealers who have the brands you're interested in, listen to them and see which you like. Be sure to take along some of your favorite CDs so that you can hear the equipment playing music you are familiar with. In the end, the "best" rated amp is the one that sounds best to your ears.

Thread Information