Forum Regular

Who else uses Plinius amplification?

And what speakers do you use with it (or them if pre/power)? I'm in the fortunate position of having a) money and b) a CDLAD pre and 8200P power and a really nice cd player to use with some potential candidates.

Thanks

Forum Regular
    I'm using the Plinius 8100 integrated with the Dynaudio Audience 42. Dynaudio and Totem loudspeakers are generally recommended with Plinius amplification, but it could be any speaker on the detailed & neutral side that you may want to warm-over a bit while maintaining bass control.

BTW, what's the "really nice CD Player?"

Forum Regular
    I have a Plinius 8150 integrated (now superceded). I've heard it with B&W (CDM1SE, 7NT, and 704), Kef R104 and Celestion models (when those companies made decent speakers), Epos ES 11, and Pro-Ac with no problems. Any insufficiencies came from the speakers themselves. At the moment I use Image 414 speakers (also manufactured in New Zealand), but these as yet lack international exposure. They should - they walk all over anything I mentioned.

Any well-constructed and basically neutral speaker that images well and can handle the power should work with Plinius amps. If all anyone is looking for in a speaker is searing highs and thunderous bass they shouldn't be into Plinius in the first place.

Forum Regular
    nick- i have a Scandanavian SAT CD Fix upsampling cd player thats been extensively reworked. It also has fully balanced XLR outs to go to the XLR ins on the pre

I had read about the Dynaudio/Plinius link but wasn't aware of the Totems. I had heard good things about Totems so will look into this.

B&Ws have always seemed very bland to me- i liked the sound of the Kef RDM series so will look into the Reference 2:2s, 3:2s maybe- the CDLAD/8200p is a 4000UKP setup so will need some fairly decent boxes i think I did run JM Labs Electras on it before but the treble had too much sibilance

Cheers so far

Thread Information