• 08-03-2007, 03:02 AM
    Mortimon
    Which amp for Paradigm Atom
    I just ordered these from eBay. I have no idea which amp to buy, that would work with them. They have pretty low sensitivity(89db) and are 50W at 8ohm. My budget is about 300-400$.

I am going to use my computer as the input source, in my pretty small (12sqm even less) room, do I need anything else except the speakers and amp/reciever for good quality sound (good quality for the price that is)?

thanks!
  • 08-03-2007, 03:59 AM
    Luvin Da Blues
    First, welcome to this forum.

89db/1w/1m sensitivity is not that low. I assume that you're running stereo only? A small room won't take that much power to fill. Are you running a subwoofer? Are you looking for new equipment or are you open to used stuff? Anything from Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon etc in your budget should suffice depending on your expectations and requirements.

If you don't have a decent sound card, then I would invest in one. There are a few good ones out there. You should do a search on this forum as this has been discussed a few times. Cheers
  • 08-03-2007, 04:29 AM
    Mortimon

I don't think I want a subwoofer as I read the Atoms provide pretty decent bass and I don't listen to hip hop or anything of those sorts, so I think 2 channels are enough, but maybe more would be better in the further future. I *prefer* used stuff from trustworthy sources.

About the sound card, can't I buy some sort of receiver that would handle the signal instead? And could you list a couple of amps that would suffice as I know little of the many brands.
  • 08-03-2007, 04:42 AM
    Luvin Da Blues
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortimon

I don't think I want a subwoofer as I read the Atoms provide pretty decent bass and I don't listen to hip hop or anything of those sorts, so I think 2 channels are enough, but maybe more would be better in the further future. I *prefer* used stuff from trustworthy sources.

About the sound card, can't I buy some sort of receiver that would handle the signal instead? And could you list a couple of amps that would suffice as I know little of the many brands.

You want to "feed" the receiver with the best signal you can and most stock sound cards just aren't very good IMHO.

I'm not very familiar with receivers in your budget so I'll let others comment on that. Best thing is too check out some used equipment in your area and come back here with model #'s for us to comment on. There a nice little NAD 7400 in the classified section on this forum that would mate with those Atoms well and is close to your budget. Another place would be Audiogon website.
  • 08-03-2007, 04:51 AM
    Feanor
    Consider vintage
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortimon
    I just ordered these from eBay. I have no idea which amp to buy, that would work with them. They have pretty low sensitivity(89db) and are 50W at 8ohm. My budget is about 300-400$.

I am going to use my computer as the input source, in my pretty small (12sqm even less) room, do I need anything else except the speakers and amp/reciever for good quality sound (good quality for the price that is)?

thanks!

A reasonable integrated or receiver will do the the trick. One good option is a used vintage integrated amp, (from eBay, let's say). I's suggest a '70s integrated amp: you can get 60+ watts per channel for US$100-150 with carefully shopping. If you like a smooth, robust sound, Maranta or Sansui is probably you best choice. For a brighter sound, Yamaha; middle of the road, Pioneer, Kenwood, Harmon Kardon, and Sony. Avoid Akai, JVC, Technics, Sherwood, et al.

By the way, vintage integrates are slight better value in today's market than receivers or preamp/power separates. A receiver is worth it though, if you need radio.

Depending on your sound cards output jacks, you might need a mini stereo to RCA 'Y' connector and a pair of RCA interconnects; run these to the 'AUX' input of your amp, and you're in business. :cornut:
  • 08-03-2007, 04:52 AM
    Mortimon
    The only problem is that I live in Israel. I could ask sellers to ship it here, but I think that should be the second priority. I saw an Onkyo TX-8511 which I think isn't bad for a nice price, about 300$.

Other than that..

ROTEL RX 820
    ROTEL RTC850
    YAMAHA CD100
    440 yamaha something like that
    YAMAHA RXV-992
    ONKYO A-9211

Those are from the brands I kind of know.

edit:

I was told not to get vintage amps because they don't work as well with today's components as they did with vintage ones... I saw a Marantz 2270 which I read is a good buy, but people try to talk me out of it.

edit:

I found a sansui model-220 here in Israel, how's that? pretty cheap, too, 200$.
  • 08-03-2007, 05:03 AM
    noddin0ff
    I'll second Luvin' on Denon or Yamaha. I don't think you're going to be needing much power to fill the room. I would encourage you to consider keeping flexible for future expansion. Denon/Yamaha have 5.1 HT receivers that will do all you want and let you add a sub if desired later with in your current budget. I have a pair of Atoms as rears with a Yamaha. They became rears as I upgraded the mains...

If your computer has digital output options, I'd do like you suggested and skip the soundcard. Let the receiver do the processing.

Here's some options
    http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.proc...00779#Channels

I'm leaning toward the HTR-6040 as a suggestion. You won't need more power with the Atoms.
    http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...DETYP=RELATION

edit: OH, Israel. It looks like the non-US equivalent is the RX-V461
    http://www.yamaha-uk.com/av_amps_rec...product_id=177
  • 08-03-2007, 06:13 AM
    Mortimon
    Thanks alot! what about those others I've listed, they are already here in Israel and are used (which like I said I like :>) so they would get priority. But I will check that Yamaha. I do, though, have a home theatre already, but what the hell :D

edit: lowest price here in Israel is 600$ for that one, new. can't find any used ones :\

edit: what about a AVR 1801 DENON? pretty cheap at 250$.