Forum Regular

Need help with best HT set-up!

Hi everyone, first time poster, came here cuz i hear you guys some of the best! On to it, I'm using a philips 42" 720p plasma, polk audio in-walls l/r, center, 2 rear all 4 oms load, onkyo tx-804 thx 105watts per channel receiver, have but not connected yet a carver av-705 thx 5-channel amp w/ 125w per channel at 8oms. The question is , should i use the receiver or get a pre/pro to use the carver amp. with. My understanding is that i should use a pre-pro instead of the receiver, if this is true is the H/K 2.0 sig. series pre-pro good enough and yes i need bang for buck. Can i use the onkyo or do i need a pre-pro? I appreciate any suggestions or info, thanks. Posted in HT forum earlier but no reponses yet

Mid-Fi
    A pre-pro with Carver 705 should sound much better than a Japanese receiver. But one question is if your in-wall speakers are good enough to show the difference.

For a pre-pro of BFB, I would recommend B&K, Sunfire, Outlaw. Going seperates is a step -up to a higher level than receivers. It seems that your speakers are still in the "receiver" level. Maybe you should upgrade your mains and sub before buying a pre-pro.

Forum Regular
    Agreed,i am afraid that your speakers are your weak link.Adding a pre-pro or that Carver will make no real difference.Sell that Carver until you upgrade speakers and i do not see a sub listed,you need one.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    Agreed,i am afraid that your speakers are your weak link.Adding a pre-pro or that Carver will make no real difference.Sell that Carver until you upgrade speakers and i do not see a sub listed,you need one.

bill
    Well, my in-walls are Lc series; (2)r/l lc60i , center is lc265i, rear are (2) lc65i which do have aiming tweeters. I was hoping i really didn't need to get a pre-pro since it may not upgrade the sound by that much. I hoped the amp would be adequate since the sound already is great just with the receiver. the amp serves to better my sound and not overload my receiver since the polks are power hungry. Now, i still need my sub and was leaning towards a svs cylinder with a 325 watt bash amp, what do you think. If i can use the current onkyo tx-sr804 receiver w/ the carver av705 amp then i would like too. Since i'm not the most knowledgeable, how do i know if i can and what do i look for as far as connecting it.

Forum Regular
    If you feel the sound is great now,why worry about it.Those Polks are not power hungry at all,the external amp would just be a waste.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Suspended
    I think after all is said and done that you may actually end up preferring the Onkyo's internal amp. The 20 extra watts aren't going to make that much difference in perceived volume, if any at all, and I'm sure the Onkyo will have more punch, the Carver may have an edge in clarity.

Actually, in my opinion any large gain would only come from a pre/pro where you will gain a much improved preamp section. To notice an improvement from adding a power amp you will need to go better than a Carver.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I think after all is said and done that you may actually end up preferring the Onkyo's internal amp. The 20 extra watts aren't going to make that much difference in perceived volume, if any at all, and I'm sure the Onkyo will have more punch, the Carver may have an edge in clarity.

Actually, in my opinion any large gain would only come from a pre/pro where you will gain a much improved preamp section. To notice an improvement from adding a power amp you will need to go better than a Carver.
    Thanks for everyones's opinions and info, i think i've made my decision based on everone's analysis. If any one has more to say, go ahead, thanks!

Suspended
    Well..... are you going to keep us in suspense or what did you decide to do?

Thread Information