Forum Regular

Expert advice on amp questions

I am new to this site and was looking for some good advice. I have read a lot of threads and it sounds like everyone on here is very knowledgeable. Here's my dilema:

I have the pioneer vsx-94txh receiver and klipsch 7.1 all the way around with rf82's for mains and RW12 for sub. While the 94txh is loaded with every option known to man and is good for HT, it absolutely sucks for 2 channel stereo. I'm coming from an old Yammy (100W) where if you barely touched the volume it would scream and with the Pioneer(140W) you have to turn the volume WAAAY up before any decent sound comes out.

I am looking at getting another amp to bi-amp the receiver to drive my mains and sub but I am unsure of a few things. I want to stay at around $300-$400 and I am looking at some used Adcom amps (545II & 5400) on Ebay. Here are my questions:

1. What are some good amps in that price range?

2. Does the wattage matter if my speakers are 150 w/continuous

3. What is the best way to connect the amp, can I get away with bi-amping with my receiver just the mains?

4. What do I do with the sub, do I leave it connected to the receiver?

5. Does it matter if my receiver is 140w and the amp is different? Or do I need to get a preamp and an amp?

6. Do I do anything different to watch a movie to use the 7.1?

My other dilema is when I listen to music I create music DVD's so I can fit 450 songs on a disc and I notice on preamps they don't offer the as an input, how would that work?

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!

jb

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Ah, the age old question of how to integrate two-channel and multi-channel. This is something I'm struggling with myself. To add even more confusion to the issue, it may not even be your amp section but, in fact, the preamp section of your receiver thatis the culprit. I suggest this because the Klipsches are a fairly easy push and don't really require alot of power to sing...

...um, okay, having read the rest of your post I'm thinking your source material has more to do with this than anything else. What compresion rate are you using with these "music dvds"? There's no preamp or amp that will improve your sound if your using low-bitrate burns.

Forum Regular
    Thanks bobsticks. I am actually burning them in wave format, not MP3 b/c my dvd player won't play MP3 (it's an older model) so it can't be that. Even when I play regular CD's it's the same way. I firmly believe that the receiver is mainly a HT reciever b/c it has every format available even some that aren't yet like HD DTS, etc.

Can I just bi-amp this receiver to just the mains and sub for music w/o the preamp? Can I buy a 200w amp if my speakers are only 150 continuous 600 peak? As you can see I am new to this whole thing but I want to increase the quality of my music listening.

Forum Regular
    I agree with what bobsticks told you.And to be honest adding an amp i dont think will make any difference at all.Not to be sarcastic or anything but have you done your calibrations on the receier like speaker settings etc.I would check that before you did anything at all.

Suspended
    [QUOTE=jb5200]I am new to this site and was looking for some good advice. I have read a lot of threads and it sounds like everyone on here is very knowledgeable. Here's my dilema:

I have the pioneer vsx-94txh receiver and klipsch 7.1 all the way around with rf82's for mains and RW12 for sub. While the 94txh is loaded with every option known to man and is good for HT, it absolutely sucks for 2 channel stereo. I'm coming from an old Yammy (100W) where if you barely touched the volume it would scream and with the Pioneer(140W) you have to turn the volume WAAAY up before any decent sound comes out.

Before I answer your questions you need to realize something before you go and spend more money, I realize Pioneer sucks but even if the receiver gave you 70 watts clean power the Klipsch should run you out of the room, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM SOME WHERE. Have you gone into your set up menu? The set up menu has a volume control for each channel. There will be some variation but set your volume levels to +6 dB or so and see what happens. I'm not familiar with everything on that receiver but something is amiss.

1. What are some good amps in that price range?
    * The Adcoms are the best bang for the buck used in that price. The 555 or 5500 are 200 wpc, where the 545 and 5400 are 125 wpc. I don't know if you can find a NAD, Rotel or Parasound in that range or not.
    2. Does the wattage matter if my speakers are 150 w/continuous
    * No. You are better off with more power than not enough, it's distortion (clipping) that kills speakers. This is when you over drive an amp and it sends a distorted signal to the speakers.
    3. What is the best way to connect the amp, can I get away with bi-amping with my receiver just the mains?

* The best way is to go from your main preamp outs to the external power amp. If you want to bi-amp you will need to go from the main pre outs with a Y adaptor, one side back into the receiver and the other to the power amp. Run the power amp to the lower frequency terminal and the receiver to the higher frequency terminal.

4. What do I do with the sub, do I leave it connected to the receiver?
    * Leave the sub alone. Your receiver should give you the option of using the sub in 2 channel or not.
    5. Does it matter if my receiver is 140w and the amp is different? Or do I need to get a preamp and an amp?

* This will matter IF you bi-amp. You will need a more powerful amp for the low frequency terminal. If the Pioneer is as puny as you think, maybe the 125 wpc will work but I'd recommend 200 wpc or better. If you are NOT bi-amping, power does not matter because, remember I told you all channels have a volume control, you can adjust the receiver to match the amp or vice versa very easily.

6. Do I do anything different to watch a movie to use the 7.1?
    * NO. As long as all you do is add an extra amp. If you want to try to put two systems together let me know we will go through that. I've been through it.

My other dilema is when I listen to music I create music DVD's so I can fit 450 songs on a disc and I notice on preamps they don't offer the as an input, how would that work?

* I didn't get the question. DVD players have analog outputs and can hook to anything.

Suspended
    I took a look at your model of receiver, you are right, it does about everything. But your receiver is an Elite and I'm sure you have a set up problem. I haven't much experience with the Elite but it has to be better than the typical stuff they sell at Best Buy. The specs say 140x7 rms, so that receiver pushing Klipsch should be rocking the house down. Check your manual thoroughly. Did you do the install?

You also mentioned something about bi-amping, are the metal strips that go between the 2 sets of terminals in place? I'd think they would come in place from the box but who knows.

Amp comment

jb5200,

You have great comments and advice from Mr.Peabody, (as usual). I'll only add a couple of small things.

First, please understand that the volume setting has only a loose connection with the amount of power the amp is putting out. The volume knob determines the voltage, but the watts that the amp puts out for a given voltage depends on the sensitivity -- or volts for full output -- of the amp. Sensitivities vary widely for amps of the same power: one amp might be driven to full output by 1 volt, another might require 2.5 volts or more.

Secondly, based on personal experience, my favorite high-power, sub-$400 amp is the Adcom 555II. It sounds very nice -- quite smooth and a bit warm and "earthy" -- no really solid state harshness, athough not quite as resolving as much more expensive amps. Note: the 555II is a better sounding amp than the NAD C270 or C272 that runs about the same money or even more.

Thread Information