amp for my TDL studio 3

Printable View

• 08-14-2010, 06:23 AM
    marcocrispo
    amp for my TDL studio 3
    Hi everybody out there, I just bought a pair of TDL STUDIO 3 speakers for £ 325.00, I know they are very powerfull speakers. I have experieced the TDL RTL 3 and they are proper monster, and the STUDIO 3 seems to be similar or even more :23: , although I don't know much about them.
    I also like to run them with the right amplyfier.
    Can enybody help me with a review and sugestion for the amp?
    Thank you so much for your time. :22:
  • 08-14-2010, 10:43 AM
    Mr Peabody
    Do you already have other electronics, like the CD player etc.? Needing an integrated amp or power amp? What is your price range?

I'm not familiar with TDL and as you say info is hard to find on that model, at least for me. I'd like to hear them as I am intrigued by transmission line technology. I personally would look for an amp with a high current output. Where do you live? Adcom, Arcam, Krell, Primare, Naim, Bryston
  • 08-14-2010, 10:45 AM
    Mr Peabody
    PS. welcome to AR
  • 08-14-2010, 11:35 AM
    JoeE SP9
    Welcome to AR marco.

The amount of power you need to drive a given speaker depends on several factors.
    1. Speaker efficiency
    2. Size of room and furnishings.
    3. Type of music you listen and relative volume.
    There are others. These are the most important.

We know or can find out the efficiency of your speakers. For the rest you have to enlighten us.

There may or may not be a "right" amplifier for a given speaker. Some amplifiers are designed to be used with specific speakers. This doesn't mean that amp won't work or sound good with a different speaker. The most important thing is having sufficient power. More is almost always better.

BTW: Speakers don't have power and can't be powerful. Amplifiers produce power. Speakers use it.
  • 08-18-2010, 03:53 AM
    Yamaha_fiend45
    Yamaha M-80 Power Amplifier
    Hi,
    Would like for everyone out there that has negative feelings,reviews and postings to take a couple minutes of their time to read my review on the Yamaha M-80 Power Amplifier.-----Thanks, Tom.
  • 08-18-2010, 04:39 AM
    JoeE SP9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaha_fiend45
    Hi,
    Would like for everyone out there that has negative feelings,reviews and postings to take a couple minutes of their time to read my review on the Yamaha M-80 Power Amplifier.-----Thanks, Tom.

Why?

BTW: Hi to you too.
  • 09-04-2010, 12:54 PM
    hifitommy
    my friend had both imf monitor IIIs improved and Fried monitor IVs, both similar to the TDLs. he used adcoms-5800, 5400, and 5500. contrary to many opinions out there, the adcoms are NOT bright. they will certainly provide the power needed for the low bass your speakers are capable of.

he also used the same amps to power the martin logan reQuests. the adcoms replaced a yamaha B2 which my friend was highly emamored of. i persuaded to try the adcom because i have had a 555II for a long time and it provides exemplary sound for the money and lots of power.

he gave in and quickly sold both of his B2s.

he used a counterpoint 3000 preamp.
  • 09-04-2010, 05:36 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I just got in a Bryston 3bST I picked up off Audiogon. I am really impressed with it. The price both new and used is higher than Adcom but the improvement is worth it in my opinion. Adcom is hard to beat in it's range and i prefer them over NAD or Rotel, I also like them over the Parasound hca series,I haven't heard the Halo but I suspect that's a different story.
  • 09-05-2010, 03:28 PM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I just got in a Bryston 3bST I picked up off Audiogon. I am really impressed with it. The price both new and used is higher than Adcom but the improvement is worth it in my opinion. Adcom is hard to beat in it's range and i prefer them over NAD or Rotel, I also like them over the Parasound hca series,I haven't heard the Halo but I suspect that's a different story.

MrP...the Bryston is on a different level and class from the Adcoms, Rotels, NADs and Parasound HCA series of amps. And Yes, the Halo series you have heard at Wylies house before he sold them.
  • 09-05-2010, 03:53 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I saw the A21 but it wasn't hooked up. I remember the Vincent and Musical Design but I don't remember hearing the A21. Since no price range was given by the OP Bryston could be a viable option. I figured by saying it was twice the price some one would figure it's in a different "league". Sound quality wise I feel it is.