Forum Regular

Amp to match speakers????

Hello - I have a multi-part question, and any and all suggestions would be apreciated.

In my office, I am setting up a small system. I will using a pair of B&W 600 S3 for nearfield use (almost like a home studio). The speakers will set on a ear-level shelf right above my desk. My qustion is - What kind of amp will make these speakers sound best at low or moderate sound levels? Does the RMS wattage matter at all? Should I avoid higher-power receivers or amps??? I run Yamaha receivers in other rooms in my house, but for example, my RX-V1400 sounds a little thin at low volume levels.

So...since I will be working at my PC in my office, literally 3-4 feet from these speakers, I was wondering what brand amp I should look for - An amp or reciever that sounds really good and accurate at low volumes. Of course, again this is my office so I was looking to pick up something used for a good price. I wanted either a quality integrated amp or a older receiver that I could use use for 2-chn. use. I was looking at a few Rotel integrated or some older NAD models.

I also had a few concerns about getting interference from an older amp because it would be sitting pretty close to my PC. ?????

Thanks in advance!!!!!
    Tim

Easy...

Quote Originally Posted by Timster 7
    Hello - I have a multi-part question, and any and all suggestions would be apreciated.

In my office, I am setting up a small system. I will using a pair of B&W 600 S3 for nearfield use (almost like a home studio). The speakers will set on a ear-level shelf right above my desk. My qustion is - What kind of amp will make these speakers sound best at low or moderate sound levels? Does the RMS wattage matter at all? Should I avoid higher-power receivers or amps??? I run Yamaha receivers in other rooms in my house, but for example, my RX-V1400 sounds a little thin at low volume levels.

So...since I will be working at my PC in my office, literally 3-4 feet from these speakers, I was wondering what brand amp I should look for - An amp or reciever that sounds really good and accurate at low volumes. Of course, again this is my office so I was looking to pick up something used for a good price. I wanted either a quality integrated amp or a older receiver that I could use use for 2-chn. use. I was looking at a few Rotel integrated or some older NAD models.

I also had a few concerns about getting interference from an older amp because it would be sitting pretty close to my PC. ?????

Thanks in advance!!!!!
    Tim
    Read the thread right below regarding the NAD c320bee vs. Cambridge Audio Azur 540a. That should tell you everything you need to know.

As an owner of the CA 540a which is also installed in an office system, I can attest to it's low level resolution (which is exemplary). The Azur's balanced performance regardless of volume was actually a nice surprise given its modest asking price. There are far too many amps that need a lot of juice to sound right, like your Yammies. Thankfully, the CA isn't one of them.

BTW, for an office environment, especially nearfield, I would worry about watts in the least. If I remember, your B&W are about 89dB sensitive so you could probably get by with a low powered SET amp if you had to.

Here is a link on where to buy the CA, although if you have a local dealer you can get a better deal.

Hope this helps.

Suspended
    High current amp designs do better at maintaining a full sound at lower levels. In receivers look for an Onkyo or Harmon Kardon. Vintage HK is really good. If you can find an integrated by Arcam or Creek that would even be better. In a lesser unit a "loudness" control would be the thing to look for. Or, you could just stick a sub under your desk.

I don't think you would have any electrical interference between your computer or any amp you pick.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the advice. I read all of the threads on the post re: the NAD vs the CA. I almost bought the NAD 320 last week (had the phone in my hand). I am having trouble finding the Azur 540 for A) a good price, used, or discounted and B) in stock. How do you think the NAD would compare in the enviroment I will be using it in?

Thanks for the advice. I read all of the threads on the post re: the NAD vs the CA. I almost bought the NAD 320 last week (had the phone in my hand). I am having trouble finding the Azur 540 for A) a good price, used, or discounted and B) in stock. How do you think the NAD would compare in the enviroment I will be using it in?
    First, I'd check in with the distributor for CA and see where your nearest dealer is. Here's a link. I picked mine up for well under $300 so deals can be had. If you're looking for a used unit, check out audiogon.com. They have this 640a for sale, although I can't imagine you'd need the extra wattage for your application. You're better off buying a new 540a IMO.

If you like the NAD, Yawa has refurb'd units like this for reasonable prices.

The NAD does have a bit more bass, as I mentioned in the other thread. However, I've got the volume so low that it doesn't really matter in my office application. Because the CA was considerably cheaper and possesses considerably better aesthetics, it was the choice for me. YMMV.

Suspended
    Have you checked www.spearitsound.com for Cambridge Audio? I see them listed on the "used, demos & specials" link all the time.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Thanks in advance!!!!!
    Tim
    In this situation I would recommend a receiver. The problem lies in that accurate does NOT sound best at low volume. At low volume human hearing response trails off in both the treble and bass. Most receivers have a Loudness setting to compensate for this. Both of my Pioneer receivers in addition to loudness, have another setting called Midnight that adds compression in addition to boosting the treble and bass. This has the effect of making the response highly inaccurate, but more enjoyable at low volume.

Forum Regular
    Geoffcin, I respectfully disagree. Accuracy ALWAYS sounds good! In a regular listening environment, yes, a loudness button or EQ would be helpful. But for nearfield listening, these are not necessary (unless you are hard of hearing). I would go with a good budget integrated.

Magnetically speaking, as long as the system is more than a few feet away from the monitor it should be OK (non-issue with flat-panels). The actual computer case is usually shielded pretty good. The main concern is electrical noise from sharing an outlet with the computer (due to the switching power supply). If you have an outlet on a different circuit I would try to plug the stereo in there. If your computer is on a UPS you may not have a problem.
    Last edited by NickWH; 11-20-2004 at 05:42 PM.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I agree in theory

Quote Originally Posted by NickWH
    Geoffcin, I respectfully disagree. Accuracy ALWAYS sounds good! In a regular listening environment, yes, a loudness button or EQ would be helpful. But for nearfield listening, these are not necessary (unless you are hard of hearing). I would go with a good budget integrated.
    But this system has problems. The second major problem with this setup is that these speakers are NOT nearfield monitors. I actually think that he's going the WRONG route all together. Nearfield listening, of which I do a LOT of, is best handled by nearfield monitors. If this system is going to be used at a computer station then the best way to go is with a dedicated computer sound system. I have several, and in the nearfield they are nearly unbeatable. My 2.1 Cambridge Soundworks 210d driven by my Soundblaster Audigy is oustanding in the nearfield. I think he could save hundreds, and still get great sound if he went this route.

Forum Regular
    Well, that's true, but at least with a stereo his music won't stop when his computer crashes!

AR Newbie Registered Member
    go to harmanaudio.com for a good deal on hk.or you could go on ebay and look for a old crown amp,preamp.

Forum Regular
    All valid points regarding nearfield listening. However, my goal with this system was to have something flexible, not a PC-only quality sound. If I were going PC only sound, I would have bought a M-Audio sound card or external box, and a couple of powered studio monitor speakers. KRK makes a nice set that you can pick up for about $180 /pair. But... It would be limited.

What I have ran into is that, like most people on this site, I have music playing constantly. When working on my PC and taxing my PC system, the already compressed sound at times distorts, or get worse, or uses up valuable resources on my PC.
    So..... I decided that I want music regardless of what I was doing on the PC or if it were even turned on. I am still up in the air as to what this will sound like, but as soon as I decide I will post and let you know if I am happy with the integrated amp I am going to buy, or whether I should have bought a $80 used HK receiver off of ebay.
    also - thanks for the suggestions about the power, I hadn't thought of that.

Stereo value > car value texlle's Avatar
    To be very honest, I would not pair a set of any B&W's with a Cambridge Audio amp, as they end up being ear-bleedingly bright, IMO. Jolida makes a nice and surprisingly powerful integrated tube amplifier called the JD 102a, I believe. It is rated at 25 wpc, but considering that tubes are twice as efficient than transistors at amplifying sound, it would be more like running them at ~50 wpc. And the tubes really take the edge off the renowned bright tweeters of the B&W's. I think the amp is quite cheap too, but you'll have to check on their site or that of a jolida retailer for accurate pricing information. It also sounds very hearty on low to mid volume levels, moreso than you would think. That is my humble suggestion .
    Dynaudio Audience 42
    Conrad-Johnson PV14
    Sonographe SA-250
    Music Hall CD 25.2
    Musical Fidelity V3 series- X-LPS phono preamp, X-DAC, X-PSU
    Rega RP1 w/ performance pack
    Pure i-20 iPod dock
    -----------------------------
    B&W DM603s2- B&W LCR60s3- B&W DM302
    Velodyne CT-120 12" sub
    Rotel RSX-1055
    Arcam CD73T