Thread: Nad 3140 Manual

Forum Regular

Nad 3140 Manual

Hi,

I'm trying to hunt down a manual for a Nad 3140 Intergrated Amp. Anybody know of any on-line repositories?

Dave

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I have the original manual for my 3140 still. I don't know of any free on-line sources and I searched inside out after I thought I lost mine during a move. I seem to recall finding a few places that wanted $15 for bad copies. I couldn't find those places again just now.
    Do you have any specific questions I could help you with, or just looking for a copy?

Forum Regular

dumb questions

Hi kexodusc,

I'vr bought the amp and i've got a rotel cd player on it's way through the post. as you know the amp doesn't have specific cd input port so i wanted to know what the port marked as LAB does and should i be using that?

and what's bridging?

regards

dave

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by baddave
    Hi kexodusc,

I'vr bought the amp and i've got a rotel cd player on it's way through the post. as you know the amp doesn't have specific cd input port so i wanted to know what the port marked as LAB does and should i be using that?

and what's bridging?

regards

dave
    Congrats on the 2 purchases. The 3140's been in my family for over 20 years. I just bought a second one to steal the power switch out of it. I've actually fixed up that one too so now I have two. It's a classic piece of gear.

My non-technical, simple explanation of bridging is basically combining the 2 separate left and right channels into one higher powered channel.
    So your left and right channels are 40 watts each. I think that unit gives 100 watts if you "bridge" the two channels. So let's say you're like me and have 2 of these 3140's sitting in your basement. You could "bridge" both of them, run one to the left speaker, one to the right speaker, and have 100 watts max driving each speaker. It's not uncommon in amps that the bridged power is more than the combined power of the left + right channels.

Unless you listen to music very, very loud, you probably won't need this feature. 40 watts per channel is an aweful lot. You'll see the LED's light up on that unit, I rarely top the 5 watt mark.

I use the AUX inputs for my CD player, you could use the Tuner inputs or Tape inputs too if you want.

I'll have to check the manual tonight when I get home, but I'm 99% sure (from memory) that the LAB in is for a Turntable, it's basically an alternative "PHONO IN".
    The 'Normal' PHONO inputs on the 3140 (and several other NAD units) basically have a filter for frequencies that are undetectable to the human ear. NAD chose to filter these frequencies to prevent wow and flutter noises from happening in the system...basically a cleaner, purer sound. It's there to prevent unwanted artifacts. The LAB IN uses no such filter, and amplifies the complete dynamic range. In all honesty, I doubt you will hear any difference, but most people I know feel the regular inputs are better for their inputs, or just don't use the LAB in at all.

Moral of the story, use the AUX, Tuner, or Tape inputs for your CD player.

Hope this helps.
    Enjoy...

Forum Regular
    cheers mate!

dave

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by baddave
    Hi,

I'm trying to hunt down a manual for a Nad 3140 Intergrated Amp. Anybody know of any on-line repositories?

Dave
    Hi Dave,
    if you perform a quick search on the web, you can find different sites that sell PDF service manuals for download. Just search for "service manuals." This is much quicker than waiting for the postman to arrive.

Thread Information