Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a

Emotiva XPA-5 Has Landed

Hi everyone. My order was waiting online at Emotiva on Monday morning ($699 w/free shipping, holiday special). I received it today, Friday morning. From Tennessee to the Seattle area on the 4th day, wow! Now that is great order service.

I thought I would post a few initial photos. The outer box arrived in almost perfect condition. It is extremely well packed by Emotiva. First close look at the build quality is outstanding. I have never seen more impressive assembly work. I will add more when I get this 75.4 lb brute up to my living room. Standby.

RR6 (no, I am not in the least bit excited! )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emotiva XPA-5 Has Landed-emotiva-xpa-5-vga-001.jpg   Emotiva XPA-5 Has Landed-emotiva-xpa-5-vga-009.jpg   Emotiva XPA-5 Has Landed-emotiva-xpa-5-vga-013.jpg   Emotiva XPA-5 Has Landed-emotiva-xpa-5-vga-014.jpg   Emotiva XPA-5 Has Landed-emotiva-xpa-5-vga-blue-004.jpg  

Last edited by RoadRunner6; 11-21-2008 at 03:31 PM.

Suspended

Crank it up Jack!!!

Sweet!!! Waiting to read your review..........

nightflier
    350W per channel, that's pretty impressive. Enough to even drive Maggies.

What are you using for a pre/pro?

Very nice and congrats! Lets us know how it sounds!.

Boy at 75lbs it would be nice to have some handles on that baby.
    My parasound is 60lbs and they put handles on the back of the unit which was a nice touch.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    I hoisted my LPA-1 (the XPA-1's predecessor) into my audio cabinet all by myself, and now it's out-of-site, out-of-mind. It only hurts for a little while blackraven. The payoff is what it's all about anyway right?

Holy Catfish Batman!

http://www.emotiva.com/xpa5.html

I just finished my initial listening. I live in a condo with a living room open to the dining room (both carpeted) and kitchen, approx 13 x 37 with 9 ft ceilings.

I disconnected my Oultaw Audio LFM-1 Plus sub and Velodyne SMS-1 sub EQ. I wanted to just evaluate the XPA-5 driving my 5 Axiom Audio speakers. I listened to the below sources first with my Sony STR-DA4ES receiver for reference which I then used as the pre. I hooked up the XPA-5. I have 3ea M2's bookshelf speakers as LCR and 2ea QS-4's as surrounds. The M2's are flat down to about 70Hz, and then drop off the cliff (great for matching with a sub). The M80's although listed as 400 watts max can according to Axiom handle peaks up to 1200 watts. I presume my less efficient Axiom's listed at 150-175 watts might handle 450 watt peaks. Thus, for me the XPA-5 is not really overkill even for my small speakers. I feel that my Sony receiver frequently sounded a little harsh when driving the Axiom's to loud levels or perhaps when actually going into clipping. I used my Panny DMP-E85 for CD's and DVD's. I hope to buy an OPPO BD player and maybe an Emo CD player next year. I used Monoprice connectors and AR 16GA speaker wire. I cleaned my ears with Q-tips before this test!

CDd's
    - Norah Jones ... The Nearness of You
    - Ben Webster with Ella Fitzgerald ... In a Mellow Tone
    - Rahsaan Roland Kirk ... In a Mellow Tone
    - R. Kelly ... Gotham City (regular and acapella version)

DVD's
    - Eagles, Hell Freezes Over (DTS) ... Hotel California
    - Funk Brothers and Joan Osborne (Dolby Digital) ... Heat Wave
    - Dr. Chesky's Magnificent Show (Dolby Digital) ... Music for Western Percussion

At low volumes there seemed to be an ever so slight improvement in overall sound.

At medium to very high volumes lugging that heavy brute up the stairs became a joy (it is definitely going on the bottom glass shelf of my Bello rack!) . With the Sony I had always felt there was a slight veil over the midrange definition and a slight edginess to the highs at higher output. They were not alive with dynamic range. I didn't think I was reaching the full potential of these fine speakers. This amp especially at higher volumes makes a very audible improvement. There is no noticeable distortion and it is just clean, defined, smooth and fast. The quick transient response and precise sound at high volumes is especially obvious. Joan Osborne's voice would become slightly harsh with the Sony at her higher range and tones. She now still has that earthy quality but stays coherent, powerful and perfectly controlled. The highest frequencies now seem ever so sweet on the Axiom's and the midrange is more detailed. Finally, these speakers have come alive and I am very pleased with the new sound. The XPA-5 only became moderately warm during my listening.

Quality and high power separates were previously out of my price range. I had my sights on a receiver in the Onkyo line at a list of about $1800-$2300. Now with the XPA-5 and either the UMC-1 or XMC-1 I can have significantly superior performance for less funds. BTW, the XPA-5 in my opinion is one gorgeous looking amp!

Thanks Emotiva for a very high quality product. The XPA-5 is simply an amazing value.

RR6

PS: There are 4 hand holes on both the exterior and interior box. This really helps in moving around before you open it. I opened the bottom side of the box and then lifted the box off. If you carry it with the front (the heavy end) next to your stomach it is fairly easy to move.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emotiva XPA-5 Has Landed-emotiva-xpa-5-vga-blue-008.jpg  
    Last edited by RoadRunner6; 11-22-2008 at 01:05 PM.

Some good clean power can really make a difference. Enjoy!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    350W per channel, that's pretty impressive. Enough to even drive Maggies.

What are you using for a pre/pro?
    Nightflier, I will use the Sony STR-DA4ES as my pre/pro until I upgrade. Originally I was going to see if I could save enough for an Onkyo/Integra pre/pro. However, after seeing this impressive amp and super bargain I am waiting on the final specs on their soon to be released UMC-1 pre/pro and also possibly their upstream XMC-1 to be released sometime next year. They will be in the $699/$999 range or slightly more after the initial run.

http://www.emotiva.com/news.html (scroll down to the UMC-1) It Is also rumored to have the new, Dolby Volume, auto volume leveling technology. The XMC-1 is rumored to include balanced outputs which I don't need with only 6 ft cables (not sure what other features it might have).

That makes a UPA-7 amp (7ch x 125 or 5ch x 140 watts) and UMC-1 combo right now at $1298 plus a little shipping on the pre/pro (or $1398 with the XPA-5 5 ch x 200 watts). That is one heck of a bargain.

There is a guy who posts on the Emotiva site, accurus, who drives his Maggies with Emotiva amps (XPA-2 and XPA-3, now $699/$599 w/free ship), his Dad does also. You might want to contact him. I've chatted with him online. He is a real nice guy from my home state.

http://emotivalounge.proboards54.com...e&user=accurus

RR6

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Congrats on the new amp RR. I am still dumbfounded on how those guys can pack so much quality and performance into a little box for so little money. My LPA-1 was a big improvement over the Adcom amps I was using, and easily holds its own against my Rotel. The XPA-5 is another step up in power, so I can only imagine the sonic maelstrom errupting in your HT room right now.

One very underrated feature on their amps that you hopefully never come to realize is the myriad of failsafe circuits these guys wired in. I've had faulty cables, a loose speaker wire and an idiot electrician set mine off. None of my other gear caught the bad interconnects.

I'm eyeballing the UMC-1 as a replacement to my Yammie receiver. In the past, their pre-pros were mostly well received, but the last model had a lot of software bugs that required a few firmware updates, and frustrated a lot of buyers. They've done all the programming themselves this time and claim that won't happen again. Usually a company puts in extra effort after it makes a mistake, but there is that risk element there.
    I fiddled with an Anthem and Integra, but for my money they're not enough improvement over what I have to justify the expense for movie watching. Outlaw might be an option...

Still. I'm tempted to try it out the UMC-1 just for curiosity, and if it doesn't jive, I can use the 30 day refund policy and maybe save some other people some trouble by being the guinea pig.

And an XPA-2 is in my future...

Kexodusc, I have now purchased from three of the internet factory direct to end user companies.

I have been very please with Axiom, their website, the speakers and their service. When you call for advice and with questions you talk to one of their experts. These guys have their bio's posted at the website. They all have over 20 years experience in audio/HT. They even talked me down a model or 2 in size and price to the speaker they thought would best match my room and listening requirements. This company is first class all the way.

Outlaw has been mixed for me. I love the sub and think it is gorgoeus looking (my wife loves it). However, their website leaves a lot to be desired. Go to their site and check out the LFM-1 Plus sub that I bought. It does not even mention the top inlaid gloss plexiglass sheet or show it properly in their photo. I finally found a photo that clearly showed the top while reading a pro review. It is one of the main reasons I chose it over the comparable HSU model. It looks beautiful with my wife's Japanese photo and happy bamboo plant on it against the mirror black top, simply stunning. Many people like to have their subs look great as well as sound great. Mine had a slight cosmetic flaw and it was like pulling teeth to get some response from them. They finally gave me a very acceptible credit and the flaw faces the sofa and is not visible. Some companies just don't realize how important the first impression is when you visit their home page.

The brief contact I had with SVS was excellent. I actually had one of their cylindrical subs on the top of my list. However, I was hesitant when I saw a good photo of one on a review. They sent me a sample of the speaker cloth that I requested. My wife and I did not care for it and we marked it off our list. They were very helpful and gracious in my contacts with them. I am very impressed with their website and obviuosly great performing speakers and subs.

I spent a lot of time checking out Emotiva. I know sometimes companies doing factory production in China can have some quality control issues. Also the first release on models with any products can have first run bugs. The real concern with me is how are they going to handle any problems. From what I have read on a number of different forums and my own experiences, which include e-mails answered in hours, several phone calls and questions on their forum, it looks like this company does customer serivce at the highest level. I have been very impressed with Emotiva in every aspect of my dealings with them.

One of the deciding factors for me to go with an Emo amo and pre/pro was their 40% upgrade pre/pro policy. If you buy a pre/pro from them, you can buy a pre/pro from the next generation of models at 40% off the regular price. Now this is a great idea. This is an amp that will be fine for many years (I removed the cover and inspected with a flashlight, very impressive looking circuits and assembly quality), I will only have to upgrade to a new pre/pro as mine becomes obsolete. This discount makes that next purchase even easier to swollow and much better than getting stuck with an expensive receiver or pre/pro that has to be upgraded and is worth very little.

As you mentioned about their in-amp complete protection circuits (they recommend you plug it straight into the wall and not thru any protection device), they have included some very thorough and innovative features in their products. I am very impressed with their speaker line. This company obviously has some very sharp design people who are wearing their thinking hats all the time. Their price/performance even though their assembly is in China is simply amazing.

RR6

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6

The brief contact I had with SVS was excellent. I actually had one of their cylindrical subs on the top of my list. However, I was hesitant when I saw a good photo of one on a review. They sent me a sample of the speaker cloth that I requested. My wife and I did not care for it and we marked it off our list. They were very helpful and gracious in my contacts with them. I am very impressed with their website and obviuosly great performing speakers and subs.

I spent a lot of time checking out Emotiva. I know sometimes companies doing factory production in China can have some quality control issues. Also the first release on models with any products can have first run bugs. The real concern with me is how are they going to handle any problems. From what I have read on a number of different forums and my own experiences, which include e-mails answered in hours, several phone calls and questions on their forum, it looks like this company does customer serivce at the highest level. I have been very impressed with Emotiva in every aspect of my dealings with them.

One of the deciding factors for me to go with an Emo amo and pre/pro was their 40% upgrade pre/pro policy. If you buy a pre/pro from them, you can buy a pre/pro from the next generation of models at 40% off the regular price. Now this is a great idea. This is an amp that will be fine for many years (I removed the cover and inspected with a flashlight, very impressive looking circuits and assembly quality), I will only have to upgrade to a new pre/pro as mine becomes obsolete. This discount makes that next purchase even easier to swollow and much better than getting stuck with an expensive receiver or pre/pro that has to be upgraded and is worth very little.

As you mentioned about their in-amp complete protection circuits (they recommend you plug it straight into the wall and not thru any protection device), they have included some very thorough and innovative features in their products. I am very impressed with their speaker line. This company obviously has some very sharp design people who are wearing their thinking hats all the time. Their price/performance even though their assembly is in China is simply amazing.

RR6
    You won't get any arguments from me. I bougth mine off the recommendation of a very good friend, and when I started asking them questions they were easy to deal with and very helpful.
    The 40% pre-pro upgrade deal thing is a nice touch, and basically a smart way to drum up some demand for a larger production run. I'm not going to buy my piece because of that though, if I use it, great, that means I liked the first one enough to buy a 2nd. Gutsy on their part, some might complain they should just offer a better discount initially, but I can appreciate the goal of rewarding loyal customers.

I was hoping to have it in time for Christmas, but on another Forum they mentioned late Jan/early Feb for shipping dates.

Thread Information