Amp conversion

Printable View

• 09-11-2006, 08:01 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Amp conversion
    I was going to wait to post until I actually got my amps back but I'm tired of seeing the same posts on this thread.

I snagged another MV60 and sending it and my current MV60 off to Conrad Johnson to be converted to monoblocks. I've been kicking this around for awhile and keeping my eye out for another, one evening I saw one on Audiogon, and in my same city. I thinking this must be fate. When the guy answered my email he said he only had the ad up for 2 hours.

The monoblocks will double my output power. The MV60 is pretty impressive at it's rated 55 wpc rating but Dynaudio aren't very efficient and coming from a 250 wpc Krell, it has been quite an adjustment. I've been told that whatever a tube amp is rated at that it will sound as loud as a solid state amp with twice the power rating, ie. my 55 wpc amp should be equivalent to a 110 wpc solid state amp. I'm anxious to say the least to get them back and hooked up to see what they will do. C-J charges $150.00 per amp for this conversion.
  • 09-12-2006, 07:58 AM
    JoeE SP9
    There should be a power increase in the change to mono blocks. I'm curious as to what CJ says that will be after the change. I'm also curious as to what you think after you get them back.:cool:
  • 09-12-2006, 08:36 AM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    The monoblocks will double my output power.

And provide better channel-to-channel isolation and power supply regulation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I've been told that whatever a tube amp is rated at that it will sound as loud as a solid state amp with twice the power rating, ie. my 55 wpc amp should be equivalent to a 110 wpc solid state amp.

Well that's a bit of an urban legend because watts are watts. Tubes do, however, clip more gracefully where some SS designs sound exceptionally hard as they approach clipping. That can give the impression of greater power. You're going to double the power in any event.

Let us know when you get them back. I vividly remember my first exposure to a C-J tube amp back in 1980. It was a Premier One driving the main towers of an Infinity IRS. After hearing that, I understood the term "authority" used by audio reviewers. ;)

rw
  • 09-18-2006, 06:56 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Next step , I finally have the amps on their way back to C-J.