golden ear

Need An Expert Advice

hi, i need a more experienced opinion on this one. which do you think would have a better sonic quality?

1) monobridging 2 rotel rb03s and using each one for each channel
    2) making use of 2 rb032. 1 for the hipass and 1 for the lowpass speaker terminals
    2) making use of a rotel rb1070 instead of a rotel rb03 in a normal single stereo amp setting

take note that rb03 is 70x2/180x1 while rb1070 is 130x2

thanks for your inputs.
    Last edited by accastil; 01-11-2007 at 07:50 PM.

Suspended
    I've heard Rotel but not familiar with what's inside those 2 amps. Typically a manufacturer will step up soun quality as well as power as you go up the line. If this holds true with Rotel, I'd say the stereo amp.

Monoblocks will provide some good soundstage though. I also don't know how Rotel bridges but bridged mono your amp will see only half your speakers impedance. So if you use 4 ohm speakers your bridged amp will see only 2 ohms which could present a problem for them.

If you have 2 RB-03's you could use one for each channel in stereo mode to drive the upper and lower end of each speaker. One stereo amp per side. IE: horizontal bi-amping. This could give a lot of the benefits of mono blocks. There would be no cross talk between power amps. Also, you wouldn't be bridging so there would be no impedance problems.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

golden ear
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    If you have 2 RB-03's you could use one for each channel in stereo mode to drive the upper and lower end of each speaker. One stereo amp per side. IE: horizontal bi-amping. This could give a lot of the benefits of mono blocks. There would be no cross talk between power amps. Also, you wouldn't be bridging so there would be no impedance problems.
    hello joeE, how do i connect the 2 to my preamp and to my speakers? could you illustrate the connections to me? pls...
    btw, this would have the same 70x2 stereo power right? that is actually my 2nd option given in the original thread, isnt it?

1) monobridging 2 rotel rb03s and using each one for each channel

IMO if your preamp has balanced outputs this is the way to go, push pull makes everything tighter and more controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by accastil
    hello joeE, how do i connect the 2 to my preamp and to my speakers? could you illustrate the connections to me? pls...
    btw, this would have the same 70x2 stereo power right? that is actually my 2nd option given in the original thread, isnt it?
    Yes it is your option No. 2
    Use 2 Y connectors. One on each preamp output. This will allow you to feed both channels of each power amp from one set of preamp outputs.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

i dunno, doesn't rotel use an internal bridging system by means of setting jumpers? i think so, thing is, you already have a rb-03,

but if you don't buying a totally new amp, i'd go for the rb-1070, and if you're still not satisfied, you can always buy 2 of them, since you can bridge them to 330 watt mono...

Good luck,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Suspended
    I have't bi-amped before, what would be the advantage in doing that other than what you already have stated? It seems to me you have 2 amps but still only basically 70 wpc, and it takes more power for bass than higher frequencies, so this seems more degrading to your sound. The highs would be louder, or does the crossover keep it level?

Thread Information