• 03-04-2004, 09:00 AM
    Feanor
    Amp Challenge: drive Magneplanar MMG for <$1000??
    My venerable Phase Linear 400 is bust and might not be worth reparing. In any case, though detailed and dynamic it's probably not very "musical" by today's standards. So I'm thinking of a new amp, integrated or power. Alas, it's got to be under US$ 1000.

Currently I use my MMGs with a PSB Subsonic 6 subwoofer and I use the built-in 80Hz high-pass filter to drive the Phase Linear. I expect to use the same arrangement with the new amp. This means if it's an integrated, it ought to have "Main-In" as well as "Pre-Out" connections.

I almost never listen above an average of 75dB in smallish medium-sized room, so 60-70 watts/ch into 4 ohms ought to be enough given the sub is carrying the load below 80Hz.<!--EndMessage-->
  • 03-04-2004, 12:16 PM
    Sealed
    Easy-peasy lemon squeezy
    Look at AVA omegastar amp ($899) 125 wpc

Anthem mca-20 200 wpc $999 or less.
  • 03-04-2004, 06:09 PM
    spacedeckman
    #1, Maggies are NOT a hard drive at all
    On the contrary, they are very impedance stable and nearly non reactive.

Amps I would choose:

I think the little Parasound Halo is right around $1k...Haven't played with that, but I have the big one.

A little harder find would be the Accusonic DB200 or MB300s(?) They don't look like much, but I have used the DB200 on my Stax for the past couple of years. Before that, it was my main amplifier for a pretty good stretch. Actually preferred it to the Bryston 3B ST that preceded it by a large margin. Much smoother. Accusonic is a division of Deltron, so they know a bit about power supplies. For those so inclined, Stereophile raved about the monoblocks, and gave the nod to the 70 watt stereo piece (MB200). I concur, I owned mine 6 months before the review came out. Either one is pretty well under your budget.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the two that float to the top.
  • 03-04-2004, 06:21 PM
    markw
    NAD has some decent items for this. Howsa bout a 270 power amp? 120 wpc @ 8 ohms, more @ 4.

Check out the deals page @ http://www.saturdayaudio.com. Heck, while you're there check out their demos and used pages as well. Lotsa interesting things lurk there. I think there's even a 218 (225 wpc/8 ohms) somewhere there as well.

They ARE an authorized dealer and full warrenties are included, except mebbe on the "used" page.

I have dealt with these guys before. Finest kind. Say hi to Randy for me.
  • 03-05-2004, 04:38 AM
    Feanor
    Thanks so far ... more options?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
    ... So I'm thinking of a new amp, integrated or power. Alas, it's got to be under US$ 1000... <!--EndMessage-->

Good suggestions from all of you. Anybody got some different ones? Note that I'm reluctant to consider used equipment.

The NAD C270 (or C370) or latest models (2/372) are no-brainers for consideration. Ditto the Parasound Halo A23. Not sure why I'd consider the Anthem at a higher price.

Note that I live in Canada where the Parasound a rip-off through local distribution, (A23 is Cdn$1700 !!!). I'd have to order from Audio Advisor -- probably a good option.
  • 03-05-2004, 04:33 PM
    pelly3s
    If you want to keep the sound kind of like your Phase Linear dig up a Dynaco ST-400 from somewhere. Another thing to look into if you want to buy a newer amp is looking for a used Crown K2 it is one of the few Pro Audio amps to be featured in both HiFi magazines and Studio magazines.
  • 03-07-2004, 06:19 PM
    Feanor
    I could go for something smoother
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pelly3s
    If you want to keep the sound kind of like your Phase Linear dig up a Dynaco ST-400 from somewhere. Another thing to look into if you want to buy a newer amp is looking for a used Crown K2 it is one of the few Pro Audio amps to be featured in both HiFi magazines and Studio magazines.

The strength of the Phase Linear is great bass and dynamics in general; also it has good resolution. Unfortunately it is a 70's amp, (albeit a great one), consequently it can sound sharp and over etched especially on poor sound quality recordings.