Thread: amp/cd player?

Forum Regular

Smile amp/cd player?

I have a pair of paradigm studio 20 v 2s that I am trying to get the best sound out of that I can. Right now I run them thru a yamaha surround reciever and JVC dvd player. Should I first look to replace the amp or the source? Any ideas on either? I have looked at NAD and Creek for amps (integrated) and NAD and Cambridge for source. Also am on a tight budget, probably couldn't look at more than 300 for either, would be great to find either for under 200 if possible, will consider used. is this possible? Anyway, lots of questions, any help is great appreciated. If it matters, the majority of my listening is classical. Thanks.

golden ear
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyhat
    I have a pair of paradigm studio 20 v 2s that I am trying to get the best sound out of that I can. Right now I run them thru a yamaha surround reciever and JVC dvd player. Should I first look to replace the amp or the source? Any ideas on either? I have looked at NAD and Creek for amps (integrated) and NAD and Cambridge for source. Also am on a tight budget, probably couldn't look at more than 300 for either, would be great to find either for under 200 if possible, will consider used. is this possible? Anyway, lots of questions, any help is great appreciated. If it matters, the majority of my listening is classical. Thanks.
    hi funnyhat! for the player, you may try cambridge audio. they may have mediocre picture but the sound is already good. for the amp, i suggest you keep your yamaha receiver for the meantime and just add-on a separate power amp (assuming your yammy has the multichannel analog pre-out). your choices for the power amp for that budget would be outlaw, rotel, nad.

Forum Regular

Cool

Thanks for the tips. As far as the source, I think I would rather get a straight cd player, I will probably keep the dvd for movie play back but not for music. Is Cambridge still the best for a budget? Not knowing a ton about the technical side, what am I looking for on the back of my yamaha for the analog out? And will the added power of a separate amp help the sound enough, or is it possible the preamp section on the reciever is degrading the sound in anyway? Again, any ideas are appreciated!

golden ear
    good decision. a dedicated cd player always works best for music. its a cluster of RCA jacks labelled L,R,front, L,R back, C, sub...1 cluster is for the input and another set of these jacks for the output. an external power amp would definitely make a difference but if you want it better, you must have a dedicated pre-amp and therefore would require another set of speakers.
    and finally, make use of the analog L/R rca outs from your cd player going into the receiver input. this would be the best signal path when listening to stereo music.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the advice so far. Anyone have thoughts on the best budget integrated amp? (under 500, and if possible, under 400 or 300). Open to any ideas. Thanks.

Forum Regular
    Funnyhat, you might consider the Marantz 4300.
    This is a 5 disc carousel, but don't let that stop your listening pleasure.
    This Marantz is one of the quickest and most accurate of the 'budget' players you will find.
    Check it out.

Forum Regular
    After you enjoy the new cdp, you might just consider a H/K receiver to upgrade with consideration to your very very good speakers.Numerous refurbs are available and I think a link is on the paradigm site. Step one, step two...

These two moves will give you a very solid set-up, if your room is set up well.
    Have you considered your room arrangement?
    You didn't mention your layout, or your objectives.

Thread Information