Forum Regular

Wink Amp Break-in Period

just purchased a new Primare I20 Integrated.

The Dealer suggest 100 hours run-in period and play at low volume or high volume is the same.

Question:

1. Is the 100 hours run-in period sufficient?

2. What is the sound different before and after run-in?

Please, I am a new bird need you guy (Master in hi-fi) some advice.

My-Set-up: Marantz CD4000 + Monitor Silver Connect + Primare I20 + QED Cables + Mordaunt-short 902.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Beckman

Nice, but has nothing to do with the topic at hand, unless the unit has been sitting on a shelf somewhere for 5 years.

-Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by tkyong1

The Dealer suggest 100 hours run-in period and play at low volume or high volume is the same.

Question:

My-Set-up: Marantz CD4000 + Monitor Silver Connect + Primare I20 + QED Cables + Mordaunt-short 902.

Don't worry about it. Plug it in and enjoy. It's a marketing trick to keep you from bringing it back incase you're disasisfied with your purchase. And if you are, take it back pronto, forget waiting the "100 hours" BS.....

-Bruce

Forum Regular

?

Quote Originally Posted by FLZapped
    Nice, but has nothing to do with the topic at hand, unless the unit has been sitting on a shelf somewhere for 5 years.

-Bruce
    According to the article the caps only have to be not used for 1 year.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by FLZapped
    Don't worry about it. Plug it in and enjoy. It's a marketing trick to keep you from bringing it back incase you're disasisfied with your purchase. And if you are, take it back pronto, forget waiting the "100 hours" BS.....

-Bruce
    If it was a marketing gimick why not say 1000 hours, or 6 months? 100 hours is only 4 days.

Hey, I would make an excellent high end audio sales person.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    If it was a marketing gimick why not say 1000 hours, or 6 months? 100 hours is only 4 days.

It's a marketing trick sort of but to be fair I think the real reason this came about was that a lot of people who owned BAD soft dome tweeter speakers form the late 70s and 80s went out and bought new slim line very TIGHT and punchy bass products with piercing metal tweeters. Even if one considers this better - it would certainly take a little while to get used to this very very different sound. And people were probably bringing it back in droves.

People need an acclamation period so they reocmmend 100 hours which for many might be a couple of weeks. I don't see a problem because most outlets have a 15-30 day return period.

Amplifiers however? Well that's bizzarro. Even tube amplifiers today are ready to go in a few seconds - some tube amps seem to sound better well into it. But again could be an acclamation period.

Speaker dirivers were measured in one of the rags before and after 30 hours and were different very slightly so it's not an outright lie with speakers at least.

According to the article the caps only have to be not used for 1 year.

One year, or five, it still is inmaterial to the topic at hand.... -Bruce

Heh, heh, maybe.

Well, it's 4 days provided one leaves the thing on 24 hours/day playing. I seriously doubt the majority of people do that. It's more likely that it is an hour or two per night after work.....

And most people would balk at something with an excessive time period, so it's a matter of making sure that it's long enough that the average person exceeds the store return policy.

-Bruce

Forum Regular

Acclamation period

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    It's a marketing trick sort of but to be fair I think the real reason this came about was that a lot of people who owned BAD soft dome tweeter speakers form the late 70s and 80s went out and bought new slim line very TIGHT and punchy bass products with piercing metal tweeters. Even if one considers this better - it would certainly take a little while to get used to this very very different sound. And people were probably bringing it back in droves.

People need an acclamation period so they reocmmend 100 hours which for many might be a couple of weeks. I don't see a problem because most outlets have a 15-30 day return period.

Amplifiers however? Well that's bizzarro. Even tube amplifiers today are ready to go in a few seconds - some tube amps seem to sound better well into it. But again could be an acclamation period.

Speaker dirivers were measured in one of the rags before and after 30 hours and were different very slightly so it's not an outright lie with speakers at least.
    This makes more sense than any of my theories!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tkyong1

Question:

Manufacturers may give amps a "burn-in" before shipping as a quality control measure. I don't know about the practices of all amp makers, but I have read that Bryston amps are burned-in for 100 hours. Based on statistical analysis, manufacturers may know most amps that are going to fail will fail during this period. But maybe a few aren''t quite ready to fail and are shipped out. So it might be a good idea to put a lot of playing hours on your amp early on just for insurance against having a failure occur after the warranty expires. If you notice the sound improving, consider it a bonus.

Thread Information