AR Newbie Registered Member

Amp upgrade help

Hi. due to one of the channels on my marantz amp giving up the ghost I am in the market for a replacment.

Not sure what to do really as there are some very good internet deals out there, but obviuosly there is the disadvantage of not being able to test them out before buying.

Am thinking about a Creek Evolution amp which you can pick up for around £400, but could stretch to another £100 or so.

The main question is pairing any new amp to an Arcam cd73 cd player. I am planning on upgrading my Kef Q4 speakers at some point, so am not worried about these in the equation.

Any help would greatly appreciated!!

Suspended
    Are you looking for an integrated? Are the Arcam out of your range? You have a nice CD player. The Creek is a nice amp and I think you might realize a bit of an improvement over the Marantz. I'd also suggest pricing one of the Naim Nates. Although the Naim would be a better amp the Creek will probably have better synergy with your CD player.

Welcome to the forum.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    thanks for the welcome and advice!

the marantz hasnt done any justice to cd player or speakers what so ever so am pleased that it has finally packed up!

am looking for an integrated amp as the replacement, and at the moment my shortlist has come down to the Creek evo and Roksan Kandy3. Both of these are available on the internet at very good prices.
    If I spend a bit more there is the Nait 5i (which I love the syling of) and at similar price the new Roksan Kandy k2. Both of these have had very good reviews.

I would love to buy the Naim, even thoughit is a bit pricey. I did notice that it only provides 50 watts per channel. Does that limit it to what spekers you can pair with it??

cheers

Suspended
    I have not heard Roksan. The Naim even at 50 wpc should be able to drive most speakers, there amps are very strong. A Naim at 50 wpc will sound even stronger than a Creek or Arcam at the same rating. Although I've seen the little Arcam integrateds drive some crazy speaker loads for their size. Most Naim users tend to agree that the best synergy is with all Naim components. Buying the Nait may be a good start if you plan to move to a Naim CD player some day. If your budget prevents you from going that far up stream I'd recommend the Creek. I can't say if it would be better than the Roksan but I've heard some Creek enough to vouch they sound good.

There's a deal on the Arcam A70 Diva on Superfi.co.uk for 350 pounds (around 520 original price). It should match your CD player well.

You know, as long as your doling out such good advice, mebbe you guys can tell us poorly informed sinners how one tells what is compatible with what? I agree with you, guys, in that Naim makes good stuff, but what made you choose Naim over Rega or Yamaha? Seriously, I know about Naim, have heard it and respect it highly, but what makes it so dern great and the other stuff just really good?

Suspended
    Please! you didn't mean to say Yamaha, did ya?

That's quite a question but a lot of it has to do with quality of parts, power supply, design and application. And, how much can you put into it and remain at the price point you are wanting the product to enter the market at. One manufacturer may sacrifice power output, one may cut a corner on a part etc. It also has to do with the type of sound the designer is going for and what type of sound the consumer wants. Naim is top notch from the inside out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Naim is top notch from the inside out.
    How does it compare to your CJ and Krell?

Yeah, I meant to say Yamaha, Mr. P. I have had the good fortune to listen to Naim gear once or twice and if I could afford it, I'd buy it in a skinny minute. But there are plenty o' posters around here who haven't had such an opportunity or don't know enough about these things (I fall into this camp--I just know what I like to hear and a good thing when I see it) to make an informed decision. Now, you know about these things. Step up and tell us, Great Sage, what's up...

Suspended
    Naim is just as substantial as Krell or CJ. Our dealer hasn't had Naim in some years, I don't remember them having the monster size amps like Krell builds. But the quality of Naim in both sound and build is on par with the mentioned U.S. brands. Not that any of them are the same in sonic signature but all definitely high end.

Thread Information