Forum Regular

Musical Fidelity A5 v. kW 500?

Hello everyone! I'm planning on getting myself on hell of a setup. From the reviews I've read, I think I'm going to get some Paradigm Reference Studio 100s and use either a Musical Fidelity A5 or kW 500 to drive them.

How would you compare these two amps? Is the kW 500 worth three times the price? Thanks!

-G

PS: Sources will be turntable, SACD, and CD. All very high quality players.

A5 will be just fine

Quote Originally Posted by gsibble
    Hello everyone! I'm planning on getting myself on hell of a setup. From the reviews I've read, I think I'm going to get some Paradigm Reference Studio 100s and use either a Musical Fidelity A5 or kW 500 to drive them.

How would you compare these two amps? Is the kW 500 worth three times the price? Thanks!

-G

The Studio 100's are reasonably efficient and should play as loud as your ever want to play them in a medium - large room with the A5. The A5 has 250 watts/channel whereas the the kw500 has 500 watts/ch. The latter's power is totally unnecessary for the Paradigms. I haven't heard either, but some might say that the kw500 might a bit more refined sound. The difference, if any, will be exceedingly small: nothing to warrant 3x the price.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

The KW are overkill for those speakers

Quote Originally Posted by gsibble

-G

Save your $$$. I like MF gear, and I also have the A3cr, a very good amp indeed!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information