Suspended

Adcom GFA hurray

Some years ago I bought an Adcom gtp 450 and gfa 5400 for a second system. I auditioned the 5400 and 5500 in my home but I think I was distracted by keeping within a budget because I did not notice the significant difference in sound. I did notice the 5400 having a mid bass hump and sounding good with Rock and Pop. I noticed the 5500 having way more power and better control. It didn't sway me at the time to put out the extra money. After living with the system for some years I found a 5500 at a decent price used and picked it up thinking I could sell the 5400 and have an upgrade for just $100 to $200.00. Man, the 5500 is so much more amp, I love this thing. The 5400 was a bit grainy and the mids/highs tend to be bright. I toned them down with the treble on the preamp. I mean the 5400 flaws wouldn't stick out like neon and for $600.00 new it was quite a value and a steal for the price going used. It drove Dynaudio Audience 60's without a waiver and I rocked that system as it is in a workout room. The 5500 has lots of bottom end and the mids/highs are more polite. The 5500 is rated at 200 wpc into 8 ohms and 350 into 4 ohms, it is at least that. The 5500 makes those Dyn's dance. I had to share some where because I can't believe how much I like this 5500 and if anyone is looking for a killer amp at a killer price, watch Audiogon or your Craig's list and pick one up. The 5500 also has a lot of thermal protection built in and LED's to show when the amp reaches 1% distortion. The only draw back to mine is I think it is an older version because the power cord doesn't detach. I thought the one I brought home years back did. The 5500 uses MOSFET's and maybe that's the thing giving this amp the character I like.

As I stated the Adcom gear is for some reason selling very reasonable on Audiogon and if some one is looking for a good inexpensive way to go beyond receivers this is it.

I've heard that

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    .... The 5500 uses MOSFET's and maybe that's the thing giving this amp the character I like.

As I stated the Adcom gear is for some reason selling very reasonable on Audiogon and if some one is looking for a good inexpensive way to go beyond receivers this is it.
    I've heard it said before that the Adcom MOSFET designs were a step up from the bipolars. However I briefly owned an older, 555II that sounded very nice -- a bit warm and earthy; they can be had for about $400 which is a bargain.

Suspended
    You'd think warm and earthy would be odd adjectives for an amp but now that you've said it, they fit. The room the system is in, is lively so the amp fits well. I have carpet with a mat under the weight set up but the walls are mostly bare. I've hung a couple throws on the wall but it needs more. I'm using an older solid state Conrad Johnson DAC, the system has just a great sound for not much money. Well, including the Dyn's, all used some one could get all the components for around $2k. I guess "not much money" is relative.

I know Nelson Pass designed the 750 preamp but do you know if he designed any other Adcom? I see people trying to sell Adcom amps claiming Pass designed them but I'm not so sure that is true.

Thread Information