Forum Regular

'adcom GFA 555 Mk II' vs 'quad 909'

Need help to make decision.
    For a set of B&W 683, which one sounds better?
    Adcom GFA-555 Mk II or Quad 909.
    I can't choose between them, because I don't have a chance listen to them at the same time at the same place. In my town, they have different dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by zorin
    I can't choose between them, because I don't have a chance listen to them at the same time at the same place. In my town, they have different dealer.
    What kind of music do you like?

Forum Regular
    Actually i play all kind of music,
    but i prefer to jazz.

I had a GFA-555II until a month or two ago. I thought it was a very solid performer. I still have a GFA-545II that I like quite well. I see the strength of either of these Adcom amps as being their ability to play very well at high volume and drive almost any load. They have a bit of a harsh edge on the highs...or maybe it's their preamps? Either way, I find myself cutting the treble quite a bit.

The Quad 909 seems to have a reputation for a nice midrange and perhaps not as much punch. That to me sounds like an amp you would want to hear if you're a jazz fan. I'll say this about the Adcom and jazz, though...I don't consider it to be a weakness. I have a good number of jazz records on vinyl that I think sound very nice on the Adcom.

Quote Originally Posted by zorin
    I've owned the Adcom 555II too. I didn't find the treble harsh at all, so maybe 02audionoob's problem did come from the Adcom preamp, (wouldn't surprise me).

I found the 555II to have a very pleasing, slightly warm, "earthy" character and very solid bass. Compared to considerably more expensive amps I've heard, the 555II had just a tad less resolution and maybe a tiny bit of grain, but it certainly wasn't harsh.

Thread Information