Linear Guy

need decent integrated amp

I need an integrated amp in the 100w range and the 1,000-1500 price range. It needs to have defeatable tone controls and a remote control. It is for a 2 channel music only system. The characteristics I am looking for are first and foremost musicality. Thanks in advance for your input DK

Suspended
    In that price range you can buy some excellent integrated amps used like a Krell 300i or the Classe 100wpc or an Arcam Alpha 10. Out of those the Krell would be my choice. It is rated at a seemingly limitless 150 wpc with true balanced circuits and a Class A preamp section. No tone controls at all, none of these 3 would have tone controls. One thing about the Krell though is that it may be more difficult to achieve system synergy if your other components aren't of the same calibur.

Musically new in your price I like the British integrateds like Arcam or Creek. I'm sure there are several others but these I can vouch for. I'd be interested to hear the Preluna tube amps in your range, they are integrated and the tube design is self biasing. I believe Musical Fidelity have offerings in that price range as well.

Don't get hung up on watts per channel. You'd be amazed at what a good integrated rated at just 50 wpc can do.

Let us know what gear you already have.

Good suggestions from Mr. P. I'd also throw in tubes from Jolida and Primaluna as well as ss from Panache. Lots of cools stuff to be had at this price point/

Linear Guy
    Let us know what gear you already have.[/QUOTE]

I have Gallo reference III speakers , Cambridge audio cd player and Dynalab tuner. Interconnects and speaker wire are audioquest. The reason I wanted defeatable tone controls is because the Gallo's can be unpredictably bright in the tweeter. I just wanted a control mechanism to add or subtract 2dB when necessary. I was thinking 100 WPC becasue its my impression that kind of power would be required to drive the Gallo's adequately. Thanks for your recommendations. I never really considered tube gear. At one time I had a very nice vintage Scott 40 WPC reciever and the sound was fantastic however the gear was such high maintainence as to scare me off of future tube purchases.
    DK

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Musical Fidelity comes to mind

Quote Originally Posted by daviethek
    I need an integrated amp in the 100w range and the 1,000-1500 price range. It needs to have defeatable tone controls and a remote control. It is for a 2 channel music only system. The characteristics I am looking for are first and foremost musicality. Thanks in advance for your input DK
    I have had good service from an MF A3cr amp, and they also have the "A" series intergrated that is highly regarded. I think it even comes with decent Phono preamp built in!

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1125322390
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Suspended
    The Arcam Alpha 9 has tone controls. I'm not sure of the features on new Arcam integrateds. You might audition one of the Cambridge, if they will drive the Gallo you can save some money. I don't think you need watts as much as an amp with a high current output. Most higher end amps do unless it's built by Bob Carver or one of the new digital designs and even some of those are hybrid with high current output stages. To my ears the Rotel gear I've heard tends to be on the warm side and may match your speakers if they tend to be bright. The Rotel seems to be softer sounding than integrateds by Arcam.

In your price you could actually buy some separates used. You could probably buy Adcom pre & power with money left over. Their preamps have tone controls.

The Premiluna integrated amps have self biasing circuits, there's no maintenance until time to change them. I haven't heard one but I'd like to.

Linear Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    The Arcam Alpha 9 has tone controls.
    In your price you could actually buy some separates used. You could probably buy Adcom pre & power with money left over. Their preamps have tone controls.

The Premiluna integrated amps have self biasing circuits, there's no maintenance until time to change them. I haven't heard one but I'd like to.
    Again thanks, I have got it narrowed down to Adcom, which I have owned before and was reasonably satisfied with, Musical Fidelity, because of the reviews. From a money point of view, the Cambridge is tempting. In terms of the tubes, what is the overall impression of the Antique Audio Gear? They have a 50w integrated for around 1500.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    You have to think of a system as a system not just selecting a bunch of componants and HOPING it all works well.

I would go tubes until they show they can't muster it and ASL is one of if not the best entry level tube amp makers. You don't need tons of watts for most speakers and lower watt amps have a knack for sounding better. What speakers are you going to use?

AR Newbie Registered Member

Integrated amps

All very good sugestions. Keep in mind that no one here has the same ear you do.It all depends on the type of system you will be hooking the amp up to and what sonic feal you enjoy.With out a doubt in my mind, all these machines deserve a serious audition. I'll even complicate your life even more by adding a couple others into the mix. The Rega Mira which falls in this category as well as the Atoll in 100. My personal preferance would be the Rega Mira.

I do not understand why you want tone controls though. They seem like a waste of time to me. If the recording is bad, then its bad. No tone controll is going to change that. I would not let such a thing influence my decision on purcahsing an amp. Most of the really good amps in this price range do not have tone controlls anyway.

Enjoy your search and be patient. Do not take any less than an hour and a half to audition any one machine. And most of all, take it home and audition it on your sytem in your room before makeing your final decision.

Forum Regular
    I have a Roksan Kandy MKIII (which is a little less expensive than what you are looking for) but I find that it's great. Rythmical with great enthusiasm, this amp does it all. I recommend it, after shopping sevral months for a decent integrated amp.

120 WPC, no tone controls (hope that's not a problem) and really nice finish. I don't like the remote that came with it, but it does the job.

Regards,

Chris

*EDIT* I listned to the Rega Mira mentionned above and just don't like it. Great for listining to vinyls (Rega's specialty) but I found it a little too warm.

I'd check out the roksan also before buying...I own a Musical Fidelity A3.2 integrated and i love it though I never knew of the roksan until a few months later and have heard nothing but great things about it, I kinda wish I could have heard it...maybe saved a few hundred bucks. Try and listen with your speakers first, especially if your considering the MF...though its not a bright amp it has very clear and extended top end that might not agree with your tweeters.

You may want to try the Jolida JD-1501RC - remote controlled, 100wpc tube hybrid integrated amplifier. IE, has tube preamp and solid state amp sections. Highly regarded, killer value amp, $750 list, can be had for less. Again, no tone controls. The amp is very musical, and well-built too. You can up the sound with better tubes also. Might be hard to audition, though, not sure how many dealers there are, but worth a try. If you demand 100w, I would also look at Krell and possibly Classe used on audiogon or ebay in that price range ~ $1000.

http://www.jolida.com/catalogue/models/jd1501rc.shtml
    Dynaudio Audience 60
    Audio Refinement Complete Integrated
    Sony DVP-NC685V CD/SACD/DVD
    Audioquest Viper Interconnect
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

"hey dreaming it up accounts for half the fun - and time"

Thread Information