Forum Regular

Amp recomendations for audience 52's

I had inquired about the jolidas, but after more research there seems to be so much out there that I thought I would make my question more general. Any integrated amp under $1000 is what I am looking for, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Icarian

Check into Audio Refinement, Cambridge Audio, Creek, and Rotel. You might also look into NAD, although it seems like their QC issues are starting to become more prevelant again. Any of these will be able to handle the loads of the Danes. I'm running 4 ohm speakers with my CA Azur 540a right now and it doesn't even get warm to the touch. Considering I have it on for about 8 or 9 hours/day, that's saying something.

Hope this helps.

Forum Regular
    For solid state, I would highly recommend going used. The SimAudio Moon I-3 or a Plinius 8100 would be my preference. These are on Audiogon all the time for around $1000. Definitely a class above anything you can get new for under $1000.

If you are looking for tubes, you should consider the PrimaLuna ProLogue One. Nobody seems to have anything bad to say about them. They are only available online here:

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/

Forum Regular

Hmmm...

Well...These are the models in current production, which I have found to be the most impresive. Also, these are brands which tend to have good reputations and have recieved good reviews.

Solid State-

Arcam A65- $600.00
    NAD C320BEE, C352, C372- $400.00, $600.00, $900.00
    Rotel RA-01, RA-02, RA-1062- $350.00, $500.00, $700.00
    Rega Brio, Mira- $600.00, $900.00
    Creek A50i- NOOO IDEA!

Tube-

Jolida JD 302B- $900,00

More Expensive-

Arcam, NAD, Rotel, and Jolida have other models slightly above your price range that might be worth the stretch. For example, the Arcam A80, NAD C372, Rotel RA-1070, and the Jolida JD 1000A. Jolida also makes several other amplifiers, some of which are tubes and some of which are hybrids. However, I recomend the JD 302B. Other amplifiers which are priced slightly out of your range include the Music Hall Mambo, and several of the Linn amplifiers.

Used-
    Used stuff is also a great option. You can get your hands on some great used equipment for sugnificantly cheaper. I found a McIntosh amplifier for $500.00 and it was completly functional.

DIY-

Also, consider kits. There are seveal kits with great reputations and they save you a ton of cash. The tube kits are fairly easy to construct and it is always a fun experience. Sorry, but I'm kinda too lazy to look up which kits I heard good things about and I have never personaly heard any of them.
    -Shwamdoo

Forum Regular
    P.S.

Cambridge Audio and Marantz have good reputations for making electronics with great values. I'm not sure about their amplifiers, but they have nice CD players and it is worth giving them a listen.
    -Shwamdoo

Forum Regular
    NickWH,Topspeed, and Shwamdoo,
    Thank you for the suggestions. Out of those suggestions the only ones I really have access to hear are the NADs and Rotels, but i am definatly looking at the used market as well. I am starting to lean more towards ss amps because of my speakers as well as my listening prefrences(rock). Anyways thanks for all the help.
    Icarian

AR Newbie Registered Member
    If talking $500, I would say the Audio Refinement Complete (used audiogon) 50/90w. If you like it really loud or have a large room more power may be considered. Classe integrateds along with the ones mentioned, Simaudio & Plinius, should be excellent at around $1000 used. Jolida has a 100wpc tube hybrid integrated, JD1501RC, that is said to be damn good for the money. The msrp is $750, underwoodhifi sells it for $590. I would like to hear this; I think I would like the warmth of the tube preamp with my dynaudios.

Forum Regular
    srgetz,
    Thanks for the advice, if i go new i think it will be between the 1501RC and the ROTEL 1062, used on the other hand has so many options it is hard to say.
    Thanks,
    Icarian

Forum Regular

Audiance 52

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Check into Audio Refinement, Cambridge Audio, Creek, and Rotel. You might also look into NAD, although it seems like their QC issues are starting to become more prevelant again. Any of these will be able to handle the loads of the Danes. I'm running 4 ohm speakers with my CA Azur 540a right now and it doesn't even get warm to the touch. Considering I have it on for about 8 or 9 hours/day, that's saying something.

Hope this helps.
    Rotel & Nad out of the question, have used them with duna, but the result is very bad, too much loudness. Please try Adcom, you will surprised with the sound.

bappy.

Thread Information