Audio Enthusiast

Acquired another PreAmp today -McIntosh MX110

A dear friend gave me a preamp from his extensive collection of audio equipment today.
    He informed me this unit may require some work but after a brief warm up, I have yet to find anything non-functional on this Vacuum Tubed Preamp. The unit is a McIntosh MX110.

We discussed some brief history and he suggested some of the tubes and capacitors may need replacement. However, I powered it up, allowed for a nice warm up and brief dusting and finally attached one source--an Oppo Digital DV-970HD. My initial impression is that this thing sounds glorious in its present state. I would rate its present condition an 8/10 with some discoloration of the older tubes. It appears one of the capacitors is leaking electrolyte. Ill open it up later today and do a more thorough examination at which point Ill test the phono sections.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Acquired another PreAmp today -McIntosh MX110-mx110.jpg  

Lucky dog

Quote Originally Posted by squeegy200
    A dear friend gave me a preamp from his extensive collection of audio equipment today.
    He informed me this unit may require some work but after a brief warm up, I have yet to find anything non-functional on this Vacuum Tubed Preamp. The unit is a McIntosh MX110.

Congrats, Squeegy. McIntosh equipment holds its value well, and the tube equipment very well indeed. Consider having the power capacitors replaced.

A very nice gift indeed from a friend; a true 8/10 MX110 can be sold for >US$1000. Here are some vintage McIntosh sites to check out:
    Note that Audio Classics has a sub-spec, (B4), MX110 offered for say at $899. (Per Russell, the last retail price, 1969, was $399.)

Audio Enthusiast
    Thank you. You've just made my life easier as I was just scouring the web for such sites.

My friend told me he originally purchased this for $384 at a retail store. He had five of them in storage.

It looks like at least one of the power supply capacitors is leaking ever so slightly And there is one non-OEM knob that should be replaced to retain authenticity. He also gave me an MR80 tuner that I've still to examine.

He told me that if I decide to sell them to reimburse him for his original cost. Otherwise, they were mine to enjoy.

I've got to find a users manual as there are seemingly redundant knobs which I don't comprehend and the labeling near the RCA patch ports on the backside have worn so I can't easily determine what should be plugged in and where.

The chassis is still highly polished and all of the light bulbs still work.

um

consider that a score.

big time.

wonderful equipment, and it will provide you with excellent sound...
    indeed check out the sites Feanor mentioned...

Lucky you!

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Suspended
    Sounds like a nice old preamp. I just acquired a VAC Cla-1 MkII in the equivalent of a garage sale. I'm waiting for some new tubes but the unit works just fine. A lot to be said about this older tube equipment.

What designates a unit as Vintage? How old does it need to be to be considered Vintage?

Name:  Oh.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  19.8 KB
    Nothing is better than enjoying winter with glorious tubes.
    Enjoy!

JRA

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Damn, how'd I miss this one?

Squeege, that's a hella nice piece of vintage equipment. I'm thinkin' ol' boy deserves a steak dinner for such largesse. hopefully you're right about it's condition and it'll offer many more years of service.

Cheers,

--sticks
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Thread Information