Accuphase E-303

Printable View

• 09-03-2007, 07:53 AM
    reynaldo
    Accuphase E-303
    Hi there everyone,
    I'm new to this very interesting site. I discovered it about a month ago when I was looking for info about speakers. I ended up buying a pair of B&W DM 303 basically based on reviews I read on this site. I am very I happy I bought them and I am very excited about beeng part of this community.

Now to the point. I've owned an Accuphase E-303 since 1982. Itīs only been to the repair shop once in 25 years and still sounds great. Recently I noticed that the sound comming from the left channel was not as loud as the other channel. I checked the balance control, speaker connections, volume knob and everything seemed to be normal. Iīve never used the tone controls on this great amp so I always kept the tone control in the defeat position. Having checked everything and the problem refusing to go away, I decided to turn on the tone controls by hitting the corresponding switch and voilá. Inmediately the sound came alive like I hadnīt heard in a while and both channels were perfectly balanced. The amp has been working with the tone controls turned on for about six months and I havenīt had any problems with the left channel. Any ideas as to what might be causing the problem?

I know I eventually I may have to take this heavy baby in for a check-up, but Iīd hate to be without it for three weeks.

Comments are welcome and regards to you all,
    thanks, Reynaldo
  • 09-03-2007, 10:38 AM
    Feanor
    Could be VERY minor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by reynaldo
    Hi there everyone,
    Now to the point. I've owned an Accuphase E-303 since 1982. Itīs only been to the repair shop once in 25 years and still sounds great. Recently I noticed that the sound comming from the left channel was not as loud as the other channel. I checked the balance control, speaker connections, volume knob and everything seemed to be normal. Iīve never used the tone controls on this great amp so I always kept the tone control in the defeat position. Having checked everything and the problem refusing to go away, I decided to turn on the tone controls by hitting the corresponding switch and voilá. Inmediately the sound came alive like I hadnīt heard in a while and both channels were perfectly balanced. The amp has been working with the tone controls turned on for about six months and I havenīt had any problems with the left channel. Any ideas as to what might be causing the problem?

I know I eventually I may have to take this heavy baby in for a check-up, but Iīd hate to be without it for three weeks.

Comments are welcome and regards to you all,
    thanks, Reynaldo

Since everything works well with the tone controls switched in, (a) the most important components should be OK, (b) you can listen that way 'till it' convenient to take it in for a couple of weeks.

Switching in the tone controls means that the signal takes a different path, (through the tone controls of course), so almost certainly there is some fault in the path that short circuits the tone controls. Hopefully very easy to diagnose and fix.

The E-303, like most Accuphase, is a classic and has a great reputation. It's is definitely worth repairing when you're ready. Of course it's good idea to take it to technician with some experience with vintage components.
  • 09-04-2007, 06:26 AM
    basite
    yeah, could even be a dirty contact or so...

definately get it repaired :thumbsup: