Forum Regular

Angry Yamaha HTR-5890 YPAO and reset issues

ust bought this Yammie to replace a Kenwood VR-7070 (earlier THX receiver) that would peak out and shut down on me at inopportune moments (Super Bowl) I went thru the YPAO setup after initally blasting some Steely Dan on CD and Rolling Stone Rock n' Roll Circus on DVD to test out sweet 7 channels, here's where the fun begins...At the conclusion of an effortless YPAO Auto setup, when I hit the "down" arrow to "set" the speakers, it would not lock, tried again w/OSD display and had same issue, then, when I went to operate receiver, the YPAO lite remained lit despite mic out. after I turned receiver back on, it only would show 2 channel sound. Yamaha is closed for weekend and website only showed factory reset procedures for up to 5870 and 1400 models, so no equivalent models to try the resets to factory. Went to store (Best Buy/Worst Service) and they said "try the reset procedures for earlier models and if it fries, bring it back". None of the prior reset attempts did anything. I am seriously considering returning it and getting the Onkyo TX-SR702 (last years model, but same features and I love the simplicity of the front controls vs. the 703) But I'm wondering if I will sacrifice power from this Yammie to the Onkyo as well as the vaunted Yammie durability and consistency (of which I've yet to see) I would rather get this unit going and avoid the hassle but am at wits end...ANY suggestions are appreciated. my components are as follows
    htr-5890
    fronts- Klipsch SB-1's
    center-Polk CSM
    surr rears-Vintage JBL Dorian C56's (I know, But I need end tables and the marble tops help)
    Surr backs- Tivoli TDM2
    Subwoofer-Tivoli TDPSI
    Mitsubishi 5531 1080 projection
    Sony CD/DVD DVP-NC665P

I think your jumping to fast on this one.Did you try the manual set -up to see?Do you have a manual with your receiver?BTW this should be in HT section.

To reset be sure the receiver is on standby mode.Hold straight(effect) on the front panel and press Standby/On .Factory Preset appears in the front panel display.Press Strait (effect) to select desired setting.Press Standby/On to confirm selection.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    To reset be sure the receiver is on standby mode.Hold straight(effect) on the front panel and press Standby/On .Factory Preset appears in the front panel display.Press Strait (effect) to select desired setting.Press Standby/On to confirm selection.

Tried that, just turns on in same mode, still only get front 2,sometimes center speaker (thought only L&R display on face). standby to confirm just shuts it back down,,,arrgh...thanx though.J

Thread Information