• 02-19-2005, 07:36 PM
    Donovan
    ? about Onkyo TX-8511 speaker impedance switch
    Hello, First post and of course it's a question. I'm hooking up my first hi-fi unit after listening to just boomboxes in the past. I am confused about my Onkyo TX-8511's impedance selector. I'm just going to be driving a pair of Sony 8 ohms SS-MF750H floorstanders. I hooked the wires into the 'A' speaker wire inputs and left the 'B' inputs empty. The two options on the impedance selector are:

OPTION 1:
    A or B: 8 ohms min./speaker

OPTION 2:
    A or B: 4 ohms min./speaker
    A+B: 8 ohms min./speaker

This would seem like an easy choice but the way they've worded it makes it confusing. I'm thinking Option 1. Am I right? Or will I get clipping if I go that way? Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • 02-20-2005, 06:38 AM
    Mark111867
    You are right. Option 1 is the way to go. Basically what the two options are telling you is that if you are using one set of speakers with an impedance of 8 ohms, option 1 is the way to go. I beleive that option 2 is telling you that you should use this setting only if you are setting up one set of speakers rated at 4 ohms, or 2 sets of speakers that are rated at 8 ohms each. I hope this helps. Good luck with your new system.
  • 03-11-2005, 11:08 AM
    Audioman00
    the answer above is entirely correct :>
    I own one of these receivers, and they will run loud and clear all day long! Just make sure if you add a set of spkrs, they must be 8ohms pers spkr and you MUST change the selector switch. BTW, just my opinion, but if you upgrade the sony spkrs to maybe something like axiom, paradigm, even jbl you would be much happier with this receiver, it has a very clean high current 100 watts per channel and sounds pretty nice with mid-grade to high-grade spkrs. cya!
  • 03-11-2005, 04:00 PM
    Pat D
    What will happen?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Audioman00
    I own one of these receivers, and they will run loud and clear all day long! Just make sure if you add a set of spkrs, they must be 8ohms pers spkr and you MUST change the selector switch. BTW, just my opinion, but if you upgrade the sony spkrs to maybe something like axiom, paradigm, even jbl you would be much happier with this receiver, it has a very clean high current 100 watts per channel and sounds pretty nice with mid-grade to high-grade spkrs. cya!

What will happen if you use 4 ohm speakers with th selector switch at 8 ohms?

http://www.audioholics.com/FAQs/4-oh...rsreceiver.php