Forum Regular

8 ohms AV amp ---> drives 4 ohms speakers???

Hello everyone, this is the first thread I was posted. I hope you guys can help me out with this question I have, I'm having this Onkyo TX-DS838 AV amp with 100watts RMS per channel at 8 ohms at Stereo mode and 90watts RMS per channel at 8 ohms at Surround mode. And I'm planning to buy a pair of Dynaudio Audiance 52. The problem is they are 150 watts and 4 ohms impedence. Can my current Onkyo amp drive the Dynaudio Audiance 52 - 4 ohms impedence speakers?

Thanks

Probably if you watch the volume. You will not be able to crank it as loud but most mid-fi receivers will handle a 4ohm load. At least in two channels.

Most Onkyo receivers I have seen are rated for 4ohm speakers, but according to your owners manual found here http://www.onkyousa.com/download/own...m?cat=Receiver , you can only use 6-16 ohm speakers with this unit. However, it can run an external power amp via the pre-outs, so you could add an amp that is 4 ohm stable.

What are you looking to get out of this system stereo or home theater? If music, I would consider an integrated amplifer and sell the Onkyo outright. I enjoy movies out of my 2 channel system and now music sounds ten times better than with my previous inexpensive Onkyo 5.1 system. I have a pair of Dynes also, trust me I will not go back to 5.1.
    Dynaudio Audience 60
    Audio Refinement Complete Integrated
    Sony DVP-NC685V CD/SACD/DVD
    Audioquest Viper Interconnect
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

"hey dreaming it up accounts for half the fun - and time"

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by psonic
    Most Onkyo receivers I have seen are rated for 4ohm speakers, but according to your owners manual found here http://www.onkyousa.com/download/own...m?cat=Receiver , you can only use 6-16 ohm speakers with this unit. However, it can run an external power amp via the pre-outs, so you could add an amp that is 4 ohm stable.

What are you looking to get out of this system stereo or home theater? If music, I would consider an integrated amplifer and sell the Onkyo outright. I enjoy movies out of my 2 channel system and now music sounds ten times better than with my previous inexpensive Onkyo 5.1 system. I have a pair of Dynes also, trust me I will not go back to 5.1.
    I'm planing just to get a better pair of front speakers for both stereo and home theather application. I'm currently running a pair of Mordaunt-Short M20i as front speakers, so thinking of upgrade to Dynaudio Audience 52. But the only worries is they are 4 ohms impedence....

Forum Regular
    Don't do it unless you are prepared to upgrade your amplification! Take this from someone who has been there. There is no way your receiver will drive more than one pair of those speakers to any kind of realistic volume (86dB sensitivity). Also, Dynaudio speakers will NOT sound good with a mass market HT receiver. They are really designed to be used with multi-channel seperates or serious two-channel gear.

Look for speakers with an impedence of 6 ohms or higher and sensitivity of 90dB@1w or higher. There is a vast range of choices in loudspeakers that would satisfy those requirements.

Forum Regular
    I went down this same road. Bought 4 ohm speakers with all differant DB ratings expecting my Denon AVR1800 to power them. Although it did the job, it did not do the speakers justice. I ended up buuying a two channel Rotel to power my mains to ease the stress on the amp for running the other speakers. My new setup now includes all speakers at 4 ohms. I ended up buying a NAD a/v receiver to power my system. So far the sound is incredible. This NAD T753 appears to have no problem powering all speakers
    while playing DVD Audio. It is worth buying the speakers you really want then worry about what amp later. In the end, you will have bought all new gear, trust me, you will. To answer you question, no the Onkyo is not enough for the Dyne's. Do not insult those awesome speaks with an amp like that.

Forum Regular
    normally when your talking about front speakers they usually are 8 ohm, remember the lower the impeadence the more distortion, so u arent gonna see too many receivers or amps accept a 4 ohm load, yes u could not turn it up as much so it doesnt get hot and quit on you!!!!! but then you are probably just clipping your amp anyway............ not to say those type of amps dont exist cause they do and depending on the class of it and bridging capability you could put as many speakers as u would like on the amp , just show it the proper load.........u got 2- 4 ohm speakers, well get 2 more and series two of them to each side of the amp , u got your 8 ohm load....and more speakers means more sound.........dont mean to jump out so bold everyone , just an audio lover here, by the way hello to everyone, im new and hope to help some out and to learn as always................

Alos Dharris ??? are those mb quart speakers u got car speakers???????????? those r great speakers, my fronts i custom built are jl audio top of the line component sets, 2 pair!!!!!!!!!! they blow alot of speakers away ive ever heard............

also calvin, the wattage rating on speakers means nothing..............................they only supply u with a spec becuse the consumers seem to think they need that number so the manfacturers give it 2 you...............

Thread Information