6SN7, 6922 or another???

Printable View

  • 07-13-2009, 08:48 AM
    tungh
    6SN7, 6922 or another???
    I owned a couple of monoblock but no Preamplifier. I'd like to have a tube pre... I do not know much about tube. Some friends told me that pre with 6SN7 is good for Vocal, Jazz, Jazz-Pop... but some said that 6922 (6DJ8) is better... :frown2: So, please help me! Could you please give me some reviews about these tube!!! And if you have any ideas for tube pre, please tell me!!!
    Thank you so much!
  • 07-13-2009, 09:19 AM
    Feanor
    Interesting question
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tungh
    I owned a couple of monoblock but no Preamplifier. I'd like to have a tube pre... I do not know much about tube. Some friends told me that pre with 6SN7 is good for Vocal, Jazz, Jazz-Pop... but some said that 6922 (6DJ8) is better... :frown2: So, please help me! Could you please give me some reviews about these tube!!! And if you have any ideas for tube pre, please tell me!!!
    Thank you so much!

    Although I've never noticed a debate that was centered on preamp tubes (-- I've seen quite a few among power amp tube types on the other hand). I have tube preamp that uses six 6922 tubes. I can vouch that there are differences among individual makes and vintages of tubes of the same specification, let alone between different tube types.

    Your profile lists an Accuphase E-211, (nice amp), which is an integrated; what monoblocks are you using?
  • 07-13-2009, 11:30 AM
    Luvin Da Blues
    Hi Tungh, I'm at work now but will post some links tonight that should help out.
  • 07-13-2009, 04:31 PM
    Luvin Da Blues
    As promised, here is a page full of links.

    http://www.ee.ualberta.ca/~schmaus/elect/tubes.html

    I had a real good page that explained it in layman's terms but seemed to lost the link. I'll post it if I find it.

    Cheers,

    LDB
  • 07-13-2009, 05:23 PM
    Feanor
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    As promised, here is a page full of links.

    http://www.ee.ualberta.ca/~schmaus/elect/tubes.html

    I had a real good page that explained it in layman's terms but seemed to lost the link. I'll post it if I find it.

    Cheers,

    LDB

    Thanks, LDB, nice reference. :smile5:
  • 07-14-2009, 07:00 AM
    tungh
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Feanor
    Although I've never noticed a debate that was centered on preamp tubes (-- I've seen quite a few among power amp tube types on the other hand). I have tube preamp that uses six 6922 tubes. I can vouch that there are differences among individual makes and vintages of tubes of the same specification, let alone between different tube types.

    Your profile lists an Accuphase E-211, (nice amp), which is an integrated; what monoblocks are you using?

    Thank Feanor,
    The system with E211 in my profile is the best system I've had before for Vocal and Jazz-Pop. I'm setting up a new system with Thorens Restek MMA-5 power monoblocks, Monitor Audio MA800/Gold MkII speaker, Teac 25x CDP. This is on my bed-room, where I used to listen to music. So I'm trying to find a preamp... I can see many many solid state preamp, but I'd like to change my style in listening... I'd love slow, soft music. That is the reason I want to try a tube preamp.
    I find out some shematics from AudioNote, especially M2 with 1 (one) 6SN7. In my country (Vietnam), there are some workshops where they produce preamp with this shematic. I know the original AudioNote M2 is very very expensive and had a lot of good reviews also. But in VN, I can buy it with a small money ($300).
    So, please tell me what the difference between 6SN7 and 6922 is!!!
    Thank you so much!

    p/s: My English audio words is very bad!
  • 07-14-2009, 07:03 AM
    tungh
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    As promised, here is a page full of links.

    http://www.ee.ualberta.ca/~schmaus/elect/tubes.html

    I had a real good page that explained it in layman's terms but seemed to lost the link. I'll post it if I find it.

    Cheers,

    LDB

    I'm reading! It's so nice! Thank you LDB!
    Truly
    tungh
  • 07-14-2009, 04:20 PM
    Feanor
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tungh
    Thank Feanor,
    The system with E211 in my profile is the best system I've had before for Vocal and Jazz-Pop. I'm setting up a new system with Thorens Restek MMA-5 power monoblocks, Monitor Audio MA800/Gold MkII speaker, Teac 25x CDP. This is on my bed-room, where I used to listen to music. So I'm trying to find a preamp... I can see many many solid state preamp, but I'd like to change my style in listening... I'd love slow, soft music. That is the reason I want to try a tube preamp.
    I find out some shematics from AudioNote, especially M2 with 1 (one) 6SN7. In my country (Vietnam), there are some workshops where they produce preamp with this shematic. I know the original AudioNote M2 is very very expensive and had a lot of good reviews also. But in VN, I can buy it with a small money ($300).
    So, please tell me what the difference between 6SN7 and 6922 is!!!
    Thank you so much!

    p/s: My English audio words is very bad!

    Tungh, don't worry, your English is good enough.


    Here is a reference that offers descriptions of various types of tubes including the 6SN7 and the 6299; check the 'Preamp' drop-down ...I don't have the technical knowledge to describe the technical differences, although they are similar tubes in some respects, that is, both are "twin triode" tubes. I can't tell you which is better: they have different specifications and which is better depends on the circuit of which they are a component.

    A little more info can be found for each at these links ...
    I believe the 6SN7 (also know as ECC32) is a lot less commonly used than the 6922 (also called E88CC). In fact the most common preamp tubes are neither of these but rather the 12AX7 (also called ECC82) followed the 12AU7 (also called ECC81) with the 6922 third after them.

    By the way, the 6DJ8 (also know as ECC88) is very similar but not exactly identical to the 6922 (E88CC). Perhaps I'm wrong but I seem to recall that the 6DJ8 may be subsituted for the 6922 but the other way around isn't a good idea because the 6299 operates at slightly lower voltage.

    Why so many vacuum tubes? One might as well ask why there are some many different transistors or opamps.
  • 07-21-2009, 11:40 PM
    tungh
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Feanor
    Tungh, don't worry, your English is good enough.


    Here is a reference that offers descriptions of various types of tubes including the 6SN7 and the 6299; check the 'Preamp' drop-down ...I don't have the technical knowledge to describe the technical differences, although they are similar tubes in some respects, that is, both are "twin triode" tubes. I can't tell you which is better: they have different specifications and which is better depends on the circuit of which they are a component.

    A little more info can be found for each at these links ...
    I believe the 6SN7 (also know as ECC32) is a lot less commonly used than the 6922 (also called E88CC). In fact the most common preamp tubes are neither of these but rather the 12AX7 (also called ECC82) followed the 12AU7 (also called ECC81) with the 6922 third after them.

    By the way, the 6DJ8 (also know as ECC88) is very similar but not exactly identical to the 6922 (E88CC). Perhaps I'm wrong but I seem to recall that the 6DJ8 may be subsituted for the 6922 but the other way around isn't a good idea because the 6299 operates at slightly lower voltage.

    Why so many vacuum tubes? One might as well ask why there are some many different transistors or opamps.

    Well, I've just come back from the middle of VN.
    The link you support is very useful, I'm reading! But my english is not good, so it's too slow to understand. Basically, 2 of tube are also "twin triode". The 6SN7 I have told, they use 1 6SN7 for 2 chanel...
    I hope, after reading the documentation you provided, I will have one preamp for my system!
    Thank you Feanor!
  • 07-22-2009, 06:26 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tungh
    Well, I've just come back from the middle of VN.
    The link you support is very useful, I'm reading! But my english is not good, so it's too slow to understand. Basically, 2 of tube are also "twin triode". The 6SN7 I have told, they use 1 6SN7 for 2 chanel...
    I hope, after reading the documentation you provided, I will have one preamp for my system!
    Thank you Feanor!

    You're welcome, tungh:16:
  • 07-22-2009, 04:14 PM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Feanor
    By the way, the 6DJ8 (also know as ECC88) is very similar but not exactly identical to the 6922 (E88CC). Perhaps I'm wrong but I seem to recall that the 6DJ8 may be subsituted for the 6922 but the other way around isn't a good idea because the 6299 operates at slightly lower voltage.

    Sorry to split hairs, but it is the other way around. The 6DJ8 was the original design dating back to '58 that was used in my '81 Audio Research SP-6C. Later ARC designs like my current SP-9 used the industrial version, the 6922. The *ultimate* version is the 7308 which is considered a 10,000 hr (vs. 5000 hr) premium version of the 6922. I recently bought a couple of pair of Amperex 7308s for the preamp which should last me for a long time!

    rw
  • 08-04-2009, 07:00 AM
    tungh
    Thank you all,
    I've bought a pre with 6SN7 tube. One 6SN7 for 2 chanels. I try 6922's pre but it seems to be not suit for my Thorens power, so the sound was so noise.
    And now, I have another situation, my 6SN7 is made by Philips. The seller told me that I should change (upgrade) that tube, so the question is "What 6SN7 is the best?" RCA, RamThon or other??? Please help me to upgrade my pre!!!
    Thank you so much!
    Truly
    tungh
  • 08-04-2009, 08:04 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tungh
    Thank you all,
    I've bought a pre with 6SN7 tube. One 6SN7 for 2 chanels. I try 6922's pre but it seems to be not suit for my Thorens power, so the sound was so noise.
    And now, I have another situation, my 6SN7 is made by Philips. The seller told me that I should change (upgrade) that tube, so the question is "What 6SN7 is the best?" RCA, RamThon or other??? Please help me to upgrade my pre!!!
    Thank you so much!
    Truly
    tungh

    I hope you enjoy your new preamp, Tungh. Unfortunately I have no personal experience with the 6SN7. One of my earlier posts did provide a link to a site that had some discussion of various versions of that particular tube.