AR Newbie Registered Member

Question 5.1 on my Sony V555ES

I have tried all weekend to get my Dolby flag to light up on my 555ES. Apparently my amp will only send Dolby Pro Logic to the speakers and I am wondering if I have to access the coding through the 5.1 Inputs on the rear of the amp (from my Sony DVD Player) rather than Toslink Optical...or maybe my receiver is just broken

Have been looking through the manual and dinking around all weekend after getting my Kef iq8ds' up. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    conga

An optical cable from the DVD player's digital audio output to an input on your receiver will work fine for Dolby Digital..

Make sure you use the receiver's menu to select the proper optical digital input instead of analog. Make sure you select digital output and Dolby Digital in the DVD player's audio menu, not PCM (stereo). Make sure you're playing a disk with a Dolby Digital soundtrack and your DVD player is set to output Dolby Digital, otherwise your receiver won't allow the Dolby Digital mode to be selected.

Thanks Royphil

I have manuals for everything under the sun but for the life of me cannot find the manual to my DVD player. I'll dink around some more and see what I can come up with.

Can Dolby Pro Logic come through a stereo feed?

Peace
    conga

Yes, Dolby Pro-Logic is encoded into 2-channel stereo. Your receiver decodes it into multiple channels. It's probably just that your DVD player is not set to output Dolby Digital. Shouldn't be too hard to go through the menus and change the setting.

Good luck... Welcome to Audio Review!!!

Royphil,

Thanks for the responses and the welcome. I look forward to surfing around an gleaning all the insight's of other fans of audio and video.

Peace
    conga

Royphil,

Thanks again...I powered through and all I can say is "WOW!" I have NEVER heard my system in 5.1 because when I got my receiver I didn't have anything that would send 5.1 and I did get a new DVD player right around the time I had a child and no time to really test it out and get it setup.

Stuck in Star Wars Return of The Sith and it's a new world. The seperate right and left surrounds....the mix seems totally different. The seperation really adds to the impact of the whole thing. I know I am saying nothing new to you guy's but it is really cool. The decays and verbs add so much to the experience with that kind of seperation. Probably the rears getting alot of the decay info....whatever it is it really works and is most enjoyable. Seems like the music is shifted to the back more while some dialog is happening in the front.

Just sold my Klipsch SW8II and will be getting an SVS asap and I am sure it will be a whole other experience!

Peace
    conga

Thread Information