• 01-23-2004, 10:42 AM
    Waxxiemann
    3B SST, 4B SST or 4B ST ???
    Hi all, This is my first post, so here we go!

I have a chance to get a Bryston 4B ST cheaper than a 3B SST. The 4B ST is a demo with about 10 hours on it and I can get it for about $2900 (Canadian) and I can get the 3B SST for about $3400 (Canadian). I can get the 4B SST for about $4000 (Canadian).

Right now I am powering some easy to drive, low level Paradigm Legend V.3's but I plan on upgrading to either the studio 40's or the Studio 100's. I really want to get a "future upgrade proof" amp.

I want the best sound quality that I can get but $4000 is a little more than I want to pay. (but I will if I have to)

Do you guys think it would be a wise investment to get the 4B ST at a discount, or hold out and spend the extra cash on the 3BSST or 4BSST?

3B SST = 150 WPC
    4B ST = 250 WPC
    4B SST = 300 WPC!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • 01-24-2004, 11:19 AM
    bturk667
    I found that the new Bryston's (SST) sound warmer the the older (ST) ones. You might want to take that into account prior to your purchase. Really though, I believe you should try all the amp in question in your system, if you can.

I think any of the Bryston's are "future upgrade proof." How much power you will need depends on quite a few variables.

Some questions: How big is your room?
    How loud do you like to listen to your music?
    What kind of mucsic do you listen to?
    Do you listen nearfield or farfield?
    All of these question should be taken into account when purchasing an amp. As should speaker sensitivity and impedance.

Good luck!
  • 02-08-2004, 02:33 PM
    James Robertson
    I have a 3b SST and I love it. I had it running with Paradigm studio 60's and now have it driving Kef refrence 3 speakers. unless you are driving very inefficient speakers or are filling a very large room you will be very happy with the 3B SST. If your room size and musical taste are in line with the studio 40's or 60's I would go with the newer 3b SST if you think the studio 100's are what you will go for then consider the older 4b ST. Best thing is to decide on what speaker you are going to go with and demo each of them on it in a similar sized room as you have. if you go with the older 4b st you will get more dynamic headroom if you like it loud and if the older model seems too bright with that paradigm tweeter you can tone it down with cabling choice.
  • 02-08-2004, 07:31 PM
    RGA
    Frankly the 4BST is the one to get in my book. For one it's the cheapest and frankly adding an S isn't really worth it - yes the reviews..blah blah.

What is more puzzling is why you would spend so much on a high end amp and your pklan is to eventually buy a mid-fi speaker?

Frankly it would make far more sense to buy a high sensitivity high end speaker which could then allow you to buy a high end lower powered amplifier.

Unless you're going home theater here, your budget allows for far better than Paradigm offers up IMO.
  • 02-09-2004, 04:38 PM
    Express
    I love my 3BSSTand it was $2300 plus tax Cdn!!
    New in box and sounds great driving my Paradigm Studio 100's. Next up is going to be decent pre-amp, likely tubes. The spec sheet rates it at 175 watts/channel and that is more than enough juice.
  • 02-12-2004, 02:15 PM
    Pat D
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Waxxiemann
    Hi all, This is my first post, so here we go!

I have a chance to get a Bryston 4B ST cheaper than a 3B SST. The 4B ST is a demo with about 10 hours on it and I can get it for about $2900 (Canadian) and I can get the 3B SST for about $3400 (Canadian). I can get the 4B SST for about $4000 (Canadian).

Right now I am powering some easy to drive, low level Paradigm Legend V.3's but I plan on upgrading to either the studio 40's or the Studio 100's. I really want to get a "future upgrade proof" amp.

I want the best sound quality that I can get but $4000 is a little more than I want to pay. (but I will if I have to)

Do you guys think it would be a wise investment to get the 4B ST at a discount, or hold out and spend the extra cash on the 3BSST or 4BSST?

3B SST = 150 WPC
    4B ST = 250 WPC
    4B SST = 300 WPC!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Bryston 4B-ST is a great amplifier, very powerful and very quiet. It should be able to drive most any speaker you are likely to get in the future. Since it is not a used product, it should have a 20 year guarantee. Actually, you couldn't go wrong with any of the three and, if level matched, they should sound exactly the same in normal use. Anyway, since the 4B-ST is cheaper, if I had those three choices, I would go with it. Actually, I expect you could get it for less than that on the used market.

If you like Paradigm Reference speakers, don't let anyone tell you they aren't as good as you think they are.