Forum Regular

2 Channel Receiver

Hi. I listen to music throughout the day, probably 5 to 6 hours a day. After 5 years and 1 repair, my Yamaha 2 channel receiver is starting to do funny things again. I'm looking into purchasing a new 2 channel receiver. My budget is around $500. I've been considering the Yamaha RX-797 or even the NAD C720BEE if I can stretch my budget a bit. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd rather not go used and I beleive that my budget may be a bit short for seperates. Thanks.

Not a recommendation, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark111867
    Hi. I listen to music throughout the day, probably 5 to 6 hours a day. After 5 years and 1 repair, my Yamaha 2 channel receiver is starting to do funny things again. I'm looking into purchasing a new 2 channel receiver. My budget is around $500. I've been considering the Yamaha RX-797 or even the NAD C720BEE if I can stretch my budget a bit. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd rather not go used and I beleive that my budget may be a bit short for seperates. Thanks.
    Don't forget to check out Marantz and Harman Kardon who also make stereo receivers.

http://us.marantz.com/Products/172.asp

http://www.harmankardon.com/category...try=US&cat=REC

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I did not know if it was safe to assume that you are listening to the tuner as your main source. If you listen to cd's or another source and you do not need the tuner $500 will buy you more if you try an integrated amp such as NAD, Rotel, Cambridge Audio, etc. You could then use your old reciever as the tuner. Again it depends on your needs and listening style.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I did not know if it was safe to assume that you are listening to the tuner as your main source. If you listen to cd's or another source and you do not need the tuner $500 will buy you more if you try an integrated amp such as NAD, Rotel, Cambridge Audio, etc. You could then use your old reciever as the tuner. Again it depends on your needs and listening style.
    I do listen to the tuner probably 60% of the time. The other 40% is dedicated to listening to cd's. I'll keep the integrateds in mind. Would I get much better quality with the integrated amps over a reciever? Considering the amount of time that an amp/receiver is on in my house per day, I'm also considering durability as a factor, which is one of the reasons I am interested in NAD. From what I have heard, they are suppose to be reliable. THanks for your reply.

-Mark

Denon DRA-685
    Harman Kardon 3480
    NAD C720BEE

These are my three picks. The Harman is a nice buy. Especially when it can be found for 299.00 from an authorized dealer. It's even a Stereophile recommended componet now.

The NAD is worth the extra money if you have it though.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I do listen to the tuner probably 60% of the time. The other 40% is dedicated to listening to cd's. I'll keep the integrateds in mind. Would I get much better quality with the integrated amps over a reciever? Considering the amount of time that an amp/receiver is on in my house per day, I'm also considering durability as a factor, which is one of the reasons I am interested in NAD. From what I have heard, they are suppose to be reliable. THanks for your reply.

-Mark
    I listen to very little radio so an int. amp has always made sense to me. I used to buy receivers but comparing specs in one brand the int. amp seemed to have better specs and power supply then the receiver in the line at the same price point. I run my amp all the time without any durability problems. I currently own a Cambridge Audio Azur 640A and a Rotel RA 970 BX. The Rotel is 9 years old and going strong. I thought I was having trouble with it but it was actually the cd player. That is why I bought the Cambridge and it is a great amp for $500. I now listen to the Cambridge about 97%. Of course if the problem you are having is with the tuner in your receiver it would probably be better for you to purchase a receiver.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thread Information