• 04-17-2011, 04:39 AM
    Poultrygeist
    100 Watt 2 Channel Receiver - $79
    The Insignia looks like a great deal at this price and it even has a phono stage and the reviews are positive. I'm thinking I'll try one to drive an outdoor system. If it doesn't work as anticipated there's always the no questions asked return policy at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia...&skuId=9693507
  • 04-17-2011, 06:33 AM
    bobsticks
    What speakers would one use in this outdoor setting, with this receiver?
  • 04-17-2011, 08:52 AM
    blackraven
  • 04-17-2011, 05:50 PM
    Poultrygeist
    bob,
    I have a pair of outdoor Axiom Algonquins and Marcato sub which I currently drive with a Marantz 1150. The caps in the Marantz are now 36 years old.

blackraven,
    I read on another forum that except for some minor details the Insignia and Sherwood are the same receiver.
  • 04-18-2011, 09:21 AM
    Mark of Cenla
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackraven

I have one of those receivers, and my son has a Sherwood. The backs are the same, and each remote control works with the other brand. So, they are made in the same factory,or they use the same design. The Insignia receiver is good for the money. Peace and goodwill.
  • 05-02-2011, 01:30 PM
    Poultrygeist
    Well I bought it and tried it with the outdoor Axioms for a few days. Sadly it didn't compare very well to my 36 year old garage sale Marantz even with it's bulging caps. I returned the Insignia to BB for a refund.
  • 05-02-2011, 02:49 PM
    bobsticks
    How much would a cap job on the Marantz cost? Maybe a trip through the Bay for another piece of vintage kit is in order.
  • 05-03-2011, 08:24 PM
    harley .guy07
    I agree with a new cap job on the Marantz or try to find a Yamaha or Onkyo integrated amp which I know would make the Axioms sound good. If you listen to FM radio then a receiver would be better and if HT is no interest with this unit then I would look at some of the older used receivers out their. When they get past their prime as far as technology concerns they loose resale value quickly and you might be able to score one of these on the cheap that has the sound quality and current that you want for these speakers.
  • 05-07-2011, 03:50 AM
    Poultrygeist
    I'll probably get the Marantz recapped. I've tried tube amps and high powered t-amps with the outdoor Axioms but nothing so far has the synergy of the old Model 1150. It could be the 50 ft run of 12 gauge speaker wire but nothing else sounds as good.

I feed the Marantz from a SACD changer and a FM tuner when I want to catch a ball game on the porch.