0 db reference

Printable View

• 02-13-2004, 08:10 PM
    cam
    0 db reference
    My room is 14 feet wide by 25 feet long. Equipment: denon 1804, fronts paradigm monitor 7's, center cc 370, side surrounds adp 370's, center rear mini monitors in series. I purchased a digital sound pressure meter from radio shack and I set my master volume to 0 db. I adjusted each speaker to 75 db with my terminater 2 optimode. Question 1: is this a proper disc to set reference level. Question 2: all my individual speaker settings are in the negative, does this mean my amp still has more power or head room to give. With these settings any dvd in dts is really loud but my dd dvd's need to go to +5 for the same effect.
  • 02-13-2004, 08:43 PM
    mtrycraft
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cam
    My room is 14 feet wide by 25 feet long. Equipment: denon 1804, fronts paradigm monitor 7's, center cc 370, side surrounds adp 370's, center rear mini monitors in series. I purchased a digital sound pressure meter from radio shack and I set my master volume to 0 db. I adjusted each speaker to 75 db with my terminater 2 optimode. Question 1: is this a proper disc to set reference level. Question 2: all my individual speaker settings are in the negative, does this mean my amp still has more power or head room to give. With these settings any dvd in dts is really loud but my dd dvd's need to go to +5 for the same effect.

How does using the setup tones from that DVD compare with the component's internal test tone results compare? I would trust a DVD setup disc more for consistent levels between all channels.

Your speaker sensitivity may have something to do with the negative settings. Your amp has a fixed power. Your speaker may not need all achieve reference levels.
  • 02-13-2004, 09:44 PM
    cam
    With my internal test tones from my 1804 every channel level is about 6 to 9 db higher then the test tones on terminater 2. Every channel set to 75 db with the internal test tones confirmed by my spl meter just seems to be unbearable. Not the way I recall the theater to be. Maybe the test tones of t-2 are more or less where I like to hear a movie and the denon's test tones are more like I use to hear my movies like 10 years ago when I was 23.
  • 02-14-2004, 08:23 PM
    mtrycraft
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cam
    With my internal test tones from my 1804 every channel level is about 6 to 9 db higher then the test tones on terminater 2. Every channel set to 75 db with the internal test tones confirmed by my spl meter just seems to be unbearable. Not the way I recall the theater to be. Maybe the test tones of t-2 are more or less where I like to hear a movie and the denon's test tones are more like I use to hear my movies like 10 years ago when I was 23.

Hold on there. You cannot compare your setup with a pro setup in the theater many times.

The 0 dB reference is not where you have to listen by any means. Once you set it up, you adjust the master volume control to the level that is comfotable to you. It may be -10 or even lower.