Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: $1K Power Amps

Ajani

$1K Power Amps

I'm considering replacing my Emotiva XPA-2. Nothing to do with sound, but because:

1) It's not working - I seem to be one of the few persons having no end of problems with their Emo gear...

2) It's massive - which certainly looks cool but is a pain in the @$$ from a practical perspective... Just flipping over the amp to change the fuse is a decent workout...

So anyway, I've come up with the following list of potentials:

Parasound Halo A23, High Bias Class A/AB(available locally - so top of the list)
    Wyred 4 Sound ST-250, Class D (online - but at least much lighter than the Emo, so shipping shouldn't be such a b!tch if I need to get it repaired)
    Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro Class A (sweet deal going for it online - just $588 new)
    Odyssey Audio Khartago Class AB (online - and about the same size as the Wyred 4 Sound)

Note: I don't like NAD, and though I like Rotel I can't get one from an authorized dealer...

I need a minimum of about 25 watts (based on room size and likely speaker sensitivity)... Also I have no interest in another huge amp... frankly, the smaller the better...

My Benchmark DAC1 will act as DAC and Pre... Speakers are most likely going to be Revels...

So I'm just curious if there are any other major players I've left off my list... Also for anyone who has experience with those amps to share their thoughts...

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I would consider the Odyssey Audio Khartgo

http://www.avguide.com/review/tas-19...ereo-amplifier

For the past six months I’ve been using the superb $40k Soulution 710 stereo and $115k 700 monoblock solid-state amplifiers from Switzerland in my system—the latter the same amp with which Magico triumphantly debuted its M5 speakers at CES this past January. I’ll be reviewing the Soulution electronics in an upcoming issue, but I can already tell you they’ll get a rave. I’ve never heard any amplifier, tube or solid-state, as low in noise and high in transparency as these Swiss numbers. With a suitably transparent speaker like the MartinLogan CLX or the Magico M5 and a suitably transparent front end like the Walker Black Diamond or the AAS Gabriel/Da Vinci (both fitted out with the Da Vinci Grandezza cartridge), it’s as if the electronics aren’t in the system. And their disappearing act makes the disappearing act of the front end and the back end that much more complete. That’s what transparency of this order buys you in an amplifier or preamplifier—less of the physical and electronic presence of all of your gear, more of the presence of the music, the musicians, and (sigh) the recording and mastering engineers.

Why am I talking about the Soulution amplifiers in a review of Odyssey gear? Because I heard about both from solid-state-amp connoisseur Alon Wolf of Magico. I wasn’t a bit surprised when he recommended the Soulution 700s—they cost a fortune and had a helluva reputation for excellence. But I was surprised when he suggested that I also give a listen to a little amp called the Odyssey Khartago. First of all, I’d never heard of Odyssey, though, as it turns out, the company’s been around for a decade, and second…well, I’ll get to that in a moment.

“I’ve been using the Khartago in the factory for years,” said he, “to test loudspeakers. It isn’t a Soulution 700, but it’s…good enough.” Good enough for the Wolfman is good enough for me, thought I, and promptly called Klaus Bunge of Odyssey, who happens to be located a scant two hours away in picturesque Indianapolis, Indiana. A week or two later Klaus, a big bearded bear of a man, drove down to Cincy with a Khartago and a pair of Stratos monoblocks in hand—both hands, actually. (Though I won’t have the space to talk specifically about the Strati, you can take it for granted that everything I say about the Khartago goes double for Odyssey’s monoblocks.)

Bunge has been importing German hi-fi into the United States for better than twenty years. Indeed, throughout the eighties he almost single-handedly put the German electronics company Symphonic Line on the map. In the late nineties, he decided to offer a more “cost-effective” line of amps and preamps in addition to his pricey imports. Somehow he managed to talk the folks at Symphonic Line into supplying him with the same circuits it used in its amps, which Klaus then builds, stuffs, tweaks, sticks in handsomely finished custom-made anodized-aluminum boxes, and sells factory-direct. (All this work is done in the good ol’ U.S. of A.) The Khartago, for instance, has specs that are nearly identical—as they should be, considering they use virtually the same boards—to those of the celebrated Symphonic Line RG-1 Mk IV. Both output 115Wpc into 8 ohms; both have a bandwidth that extends out to 400kHz; both have high damping factors, exceptional slew rates, and oodles of current. The only thing they don’t share is price. The Symphonic Line RG-1 Mk IV is currently $6800; the Odyssey Khartago costs $799.

Yep, you’re reading that right: $799. That was the second reason I was surprised by Alon Wolf’s suggestion. When a guy with his champagne taste recommends a beer-budget amplifier like this one, you tend to pay attention.

Apparently, eliminating the distributor and retailer and selling factory-direct pays some pretty handsome dividends to Odyssey’s customers. (See my interview with Klaus for details.) Of course, the version of the Khartago that Klaus brought me didn’t cost $799. Since it had a better Plitron transformer, an extra bit of power-supply capacitance, and superior parts—three options among many (including Nichicon Muse caps, Vishay/Dale resistors, extra WIMA metal-film caps, custom colors) that Bunge offers, along with his standard twenty-yeartransferable warranty—it cost a whopping $995.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I would consider the Odyssey Audio Khartgo

http://www.avguide.com/review/tas-19...ereo-amplifier
    Yep, that review is why it's on my list... Well, that and another one where the reviewer really liked the sound of the Khartago when paired with a Benchmark DAC1 as Pre (as I would be doing)...

I second the Khartego idea. Odyssey amplifiers seem to get killer ratings for sound quality for their price and even sounding better than amps costing considerably more and they have an awesome warranty and form what I have understood a good support group plus to boot they can even be upgraded by Odyssey if you ever need more capacitance or power supply upgrade or whatever upgrades they offer for the Khartego. I have told friends about Odyssey and have even thought about buying one myself but decided that a preamp was more important and I could upgrade amps latter besides I have a Adcom 545 series 2 that just won't quit and keeps the good sounds flowing so I will wait. I was wondering how Emotiva stuff would hold up in the long haul since their stuff seems to be priced too low for what they deliver and its possible you are figuring out now where they have made this stuff so cheap, Their reliability.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    I'm considering replacing my Emotiva XPA-2. Nothing to do with sound, but because:

1) It's not working - I seem to be one of the few persons having no end of problems with their Emo gear...

2) It's massive - which certainly looks cool but is a pain in the @$$ from a practical perspective... Just flipping over the amp to change the fuse is a decent workout...

So anyway, I've come up with the following list of potentials:

Parasound Halo A23, High Bias Class A/AB(available locally - so top of the list)
    Wyred 4 Sound ST-250, Class D (online - but at least much lighter than the Emo, so shipping shouldn't be such a b!tch if I need to get it repaired)
    Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro Class A (sweet deal going for it online - just $588 new)
    Odyssey Audio Khartago Class AB (online - and about the same size as the Wyred 4 Sound)

Note: I don't like NAD, and though I like Rotel I can't get one from an authorized dealer...

I need a minimum of about 25 watts (based on room size and likely speaker sensitivity)... Also I have no interest in another huge amp... frankly, the smaller the better...

My Benchmark DAC1 will act as DAC and Pre... Speakers are most likely going to be Revels...

So I'm just curious if there are any other major players I've left off my list... Also for anyone who has experience with those amps to share their thoughts...
    An excellent list, Ajani.

I have only heard the Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro's which I can recommend -- I still own a pair ...

The Monarchys are smooth, musical, very slightly warm, yet still detailed and airy; I find them quite dynamic with the sort of music I listen to. Note that they are really designed to used as monoblocks, (80 wpc @ 8 ohms; 120 @ 4), and aren't very powerful used as stereo. They are exceptionally well made and solid. But, N.B., they aren't really Class A and will go into AB mode at higher output; also they are not exactly zero feedback though the feedback is localized to the input stage. And hey, spare your back: a pair of SM-70 Pro's weighs less than a single XPA-2 and they're in two pieces!

I note the SM-70 Pro is no longer mentioned as a current model so I guess they are selling off their remaining stock. C.C. Poon, Monarchy's owner, made a fortune in another field of electronics and he really only does hi-fi for fun, hence he's a good deal less obsessed with price or sales volume than a lot of other makers.

In your price range I also recommend the Class D Audio SDS-254 or 258. They are a different sound than the Monarchys, a little more prominent in the lower treble, less "warm" except in the lower-mid bass. Their strength is extreme resolution and timbrel accuracy. I prefer SDS-258 to the Monarchys but I'm very certain many people would prefer the latter.

If you're interested, PM me about my Monarchy pair. They are mint and I'll part with them for significantly less than $588 each.

Suspended
    Since I have a Stratos and love it, I would also give a nod to the Odyssey Audio Khartago. It looks like a little sister. You will get customer service like no other because when you call, you talk to the owner, Klaus, or he calls you back.

You may also want to call before making a purchase as he will guide you with your associated equipment pairing.

Charm Thai™
    Ajani I hate to say I told you so but I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I knew you eventually be singing a different tune and boy are you croonin' away!

Now that you have come to your senses...from your list I like the Parasound and the Odyssey. I have yet to be disappointed with any of the Halo products I've heard from amps to preamps.

As for Odyssey I like the Stratos but have never seen or heard the Khartago first hand although I think it's probably safe to say that they are similar.

I'd pass on the Wyred for Sound, bleh...

The Monarchy seems very interesting and should definitely be worth a listen.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060
    Ajani I hate to say I told you so but I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I knew you eventually be singing a different tune and boy are you croonin' away!

Now that you have come to your senses...
    Ah, my old arch-nemesis has returned... I am kinda disappointed as I'm used to far nastier comments from you... This one is actually kind of funny...

Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060
    from your list I like the Parasound and the Odyssey. I have yet to be disappointed with any of the Halo products I've heard from amps to preamps.

As for Odyssey I like the Stratos but have never seen or heard the Khartago first hand although I think it's probably safe to say that they are similar.

I'd pass on the Wyred for Sound, bleh...

The Monarchy seems very interesting and should definitely be worth a listen.
    Other than the "bleh" comment beside the W4S (no idea why u think bleh), that's actually a useful post...

Parasound has an edge because it's local (so any issues and I can take it right to the dealer), but damn, the reviews for the Odyssey (both pro and more importantly user) are just insane...

Note: according to Klaus (Odyssey) the Khartago and Stratos are the exact same amp, only differences being larger chasis, heat sinks and transformer (to provide the 30 extra watts for the Stratos)...

Monarchy also has a lot of sweet user (and pro) reviews....

honestly I wondered about Emotiva and their products for quite a while on how they would hold up in the long haul. Some of us Audiophiles will keep a component in their system for over 10 years in some cases like my amp and they need to be built to last and that was one of my concerns with Emo gear was that it was not built for the long haul.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    honestly I wondered about Emotiva and their products for quite a while on how they would hold up in the long haul. Some of us Audiophiles will keep a component in their system for over 10 years in some cases like my amp and they need to be built to last and that was one of my concerns with Emo gear was that it was not built for the long haul.
    In fairness to Emo, customer support has been quick and responsive... In fact, they are ready to send me a replacement board for my amp.... And If I was in the US, the issue wouldn't be nearly as annoying...

However, that said, I value trouble free performance highly. I've got a 12 year old, ultra cheapo Technics AV Receiver that still works fine, so I'm really disappointed to have issues with my XPA-2... Especially since each time I need to try and address the problem, I have to move and flip over a 75lb amp that has no handles or other convenient places to get a grip on it....

Suspended
    In fairness to Emo, customer support has been quick and responsive... In fact, they are ready to send me a replacement board for my amp.
    Take it, install it, then sell it to Pixie.

Then buy one of the quality amps from your list.

The only issue I ever had with my Stratos is the front panel LED burned out. Klaus sent me a new one immediately but I never bothered to put it in.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Take it, install it, then sell it to Pixie.

Then buy one of the quality amps from your list.

The only issue I ever had with my Stratos is the front panel LED burned out. Klaus sent me a new one immediately but I never bothered to put it in.
    LOL... I plan to get one of those amps regardless, Might just keep the Emo around as a backup/2nd system... Unless of course, Pix wants to buy it

LEDs burning out are not an issue IMO... As long as the amp functions correctly, I'm happy...

Ajani
    So here are my concerns with the 4 choices so far:

Parasound - I see a lot of refurbished units selling on AudioAdvisor, so I worry about reliability - but at least I'll have a local dealer to offset that...

Monarchy - I see a number of reviews talking about ground hum (and possibly noise floor If I'm remembering correctly), so I do have a few concerns there. Also, since I live in Jamaica, I don't need ANY additional heating... So I'm concerned that a Class A amp would be a bad choice in this heat...

Odyssey - about the only issue is that the sound takes a damn long time to break in and maybe a bit on the dark side (which is not normally my musical preference).

Wyred 4 Sound - Seen a few users describe the sound as cold... And even though Cullen Circuits (the designer) has a strong history of making gear for PS Audio, the actual amp I'm considering is relatively untested... While the other 3 options all have countless user and pro reviews...

I think I've narrowed the list down to just the Parasound, Odyssey and Monarchy... Unless there are any other great options that I've missed...

Of those 3:

The Parasound looks like a work of art and has balanced inputs (though not a truly balanced design) and has a high Class A bias.

The Odyssey easily has the best user reputation (I include the Stratos rep in that, as they are essentially the same amp), though the lack of balanced inputs is slightly disappointing as My Benchmark sounds best through its balanced outputs...

The Monarchy is a truly balanced design and due to its compact dimensions would look more like a visual match to my Benchmark.
    Last edited by Ajani; 05-09-2011 at 11:45 AM.

I know what your budget is but Nuforce monoblocks have a killer reputation for sound quality and reliability and since they are class d they only weigh around 8 lbs a piece but even used you are looking at around 2k at best so they might not be a affordable option for you but they look good, form what I have read they are giant killers and are very efficient and reliable. Just another option to add to the pot. And I have also heard that Bel Canto has some good stuff out there as well in fact before buying my Nuforce Preamp I looked at bel Canto as one of my options.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Ajani, I have had my Parasound A21 for 4 years and a relay went out. Parasound sent out a new shipping box immediately free of charge, promptly repaired the unit and returned it along with a free Parasound long sleeve shirt in the span of 2 weeks total all under waranty. I had no trouble contacting them and they kept me posted on the repair with emails. Thats pretty good customer service. I bought it from AA as a return unit for $300 off. While I can't speak for the A23, the A21 is a giant killer. It compares favorably to amps costing 2-3K more and I am very happy with it. From what I have read about the A23 it appears to be a lot of bang for the buck.

Good luck, you can't go wrong with any of those amps you are looking at. By the way, you should give some thought to building the digital amp kit that Feanor built and is using in place of his monarchy amp. I am very intrigued by that SDS amp and plan on someday building one.

http://classdaudio.com/sds-258-kit.html

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.0

Harely, I second the Nuforce amps. My good friend bought a pair of the Model 9SE nuforce monoblocks used for $2200. They have a very detailed, airey sound with tremendous punch. That SDS Class D amp that I mentioned is supposed to compare favorable to the nuforce amps from a review that I have read.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

That is the exact amplifiers that i am talking about and they are said to be amazing but still they are a little past the 1k price range so I don't know if they are a contender here but I know I have my eye on them and when the time comes they might be the way I will go.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Ajani, I have had my Parasound A21 for 4 years and a relay went out. Parasound sent out a new shipping box immediately free of charge, promptly repaired the unit and returned it along with a free Parasound long sleeve shirt in the span of 2 weeks total all under waranty. I had no trouble contacting them and they kept me posted on the repair with emails. Thats pretty good customer service. I bought it from AA as a return unit for $300 off.
    My XPA-2 seems to have an issue with the relay as well, but mine is still a lot newer than your Parasound, and it was hardly in use when the relay went... I wouldn't expect the kind of service you received from Parasound as I'm overseas, so shipping would be expensive...

While I can't speak for the A23, the A21 is a giant killer. It compares favorably to amps costing 2-3K more and I am very happy with it. From what I have read about the A23 it appears to be a lot of bang for the buck.
    Yeah, the few comparisons I've read from persons who own or have used both is that they are very similar. They basically say that if you need more power or have the extra cash, then go with the A21, but if not just buy the A23 and forget about it...

Good luck, you can't go wrong with any of those amps you are looking at. By the way, you should give some thought to building the digital amp kit that Feanor built and is using in place of his monarchy amp. I am very intrigued by that SDS amp and plan on someday building one.

http://classdaudio.com/sds-258-kit.html

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.0

Harely, I second the Nuforce amps. My good friend bought a pair of the Model 9SE nuforce monoblocks used for $2200. They have a very detailed, airey sound with tremendous punch. That SDS Class D amp that I mentioned is supposed to compare favorable to the nuforce amps from a review that I have read.
    I've spoken to Feanor a few times about what was involved in putting together his SDS... It seems simple enough, but I'm not looking for a DIY project now... I don't even have any tools to do one... And if I ever do, I'd rather start with a really really cheap project just in case I mess it up...

Monarchy - I see a number of reviews talking about ground hum (and possibly noise floor If I'm remembering correctly), so I do have a few concerns there. Also, since I live in Jamaica, I don't need ANY additional heating... So I'm concerned that a Class A amp would be a bad choice in this heat...

The Monarchy is a truly balanced design and due to its compact dimensions would look more like a visual match to my Benchmark.
    The Monarchys run quite warm but at the volumes I listen the heatsinks never get too hot to touch or even close to that. (As mentioned, they are high-biased but not fully class A.). Yes, they are fully balanced and relatively compact. Being monoblocks, one has the option of placing them close to the speakers using longer interconnects; given balanced interconnects, this is good option vs. longer speaker cables.

Ajani
    I know what your budget is but Nuforce monoblocks have a killer reputation for sound quality and reliability and since they are class d they only weigh around 8 lbs a piece but even used you are looking at around 2k at best so they might not be a affordable option for you but they look good, form what I have read they are giant killers and are very efficient and reliable. Just another option to add to the pot. And I have also heard that Bel Canto has some good stuff out there as well in fact before buying my Nuforce Preamp I looked at bel Canto as one of my options.
    Both look interesting and are the reasons Wyred 4 Sound was on my original list... As the reviews of the more expensive W4S amps felt they held their own against the more expensive Bel Canto and Nuforce amps...

I'd prefer to keep the budget at $1K, since that will leave more money for speakers...

Ajani, here a few good deals on some used Van Alstine amps with a 3 yr waranty from avahifi

http://avahifi.com/index.php?option=...b31ba8600eef11

I have heard his Insight solid state amps and they are very nice sounding, with good air, very smooth and liquid sounding. Almost tube sounding without the treble roll off. That Insight+ 250 he has listed is a very good deal.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Ajani
    Ajani, here a few good deals on some used Van Alstine amps with a 3 yr waranty from avahifi

http://avahifi.com/index.php?option=...b31ba8600eef11

I have heard his Insight solid state amps and they are very nice sounding, with good air, very smooth and liquid sounding. Almost tube sounding without the treble roll off. That Insight+ 250 he has listed is a very good deal.
    Thanks BR, I'd forgotten about Van Alstine...

I'll add the Insight + 240 to my list...

Mutant from table 9
    So I'm concerned that a Class A amp would be a bad choice in this heat...
    I have a Class A amp, and while the winters in Detroit get cold, the summers get hot. It is impossible to use it in Class A in the summer heat. You can feel it actively working against the air conditioning and definitely makes the room warmer. Thankfully, it does have a Class A and Class A/B selector.

Too bad you are in Jamaica. You could clean up on Ebay and Craigslist with a $1000.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    I have a Class A amp, and while the winters in Detroit get cold, the summers get hot. It is impossible to use it in Class A in the summer heat. You can feel it actively working against the air conditioning and definitely makes the room warmer. Thankfully, it does have a Class A and Class A/B selector.

Too bad you are in Jamaica. You could clean up on Ebay and Craigslist with a $1000.
    Thanks for the advice... That's exactly what I'm afraid of with Class A....

yeah class a does run hot and are extremely inefficient even at idle so power draw is huge and most people leave their class A amps on all the time to keep from damaging the power supply or having future problems with the unit so it will effect your electric bill. That is not the whole reason but part of what draws me to the Nuforce Amps because they are light, efficient and from everyone that has heard them sound wonderful and way past their price range.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Ajani
    yeah class a does run hot and are extremely inefficient even at idle so power draw is huge and most people leave their class A amps on all the time to keep from damaging the power supply or having future problems with the unit so it will effect your electric bill. That is not the whole reason but part of what draws me to the Nuforce Amps because they are light, efficient and from everyone that has heard them sound wonderful and way past their price range.
    The Class D amp I'm most interested in is the Nuforce 8.5 V3... It would be a great match visually to my DAC1... But the $2,350 price tag puts it way outside of budget for this amp purchase...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information